resolutions for next year already!

• 44 Replies

themoog

• Experienced Member
Re: resolutions for next year already!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 19:55 »
Already this year...

Buy tomato plug plants, it's not worth sowing seeds for the couple of plants I need and they only grow leggy anyway.
Only use paper pots for pea, beans and sweetcorn. They stunt the growth of brassicas.
Go back to sowing leeks directly, transplanting is a faff and a waste.
Sow double the number of pumpkins and other squash so I can replace them when they all keel over 2 days after planting them out.
Sow aubergine and chilli MUCH earlier.

It's not been a good year for me so far. The raised beds in the garden are doing really well but the tiny allotment patch is a washout. It dries out too quickly for anything to germinate and I've just discovered that white rot as wiped out all my garlic and most of my onions.

My poor plot looks so bare, despite all my hard work  :(.

My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 22:00 »
^ Sorry to hear about the white rot.
I plan to stagger the crops better, I meant to do it this year but just got carried away (being my first year). I also intend to plant root crops together in the same bed instead of having onions etc in one bed and carrots, parsnip in another.
I will also sow earlier and move to larger pots quicker.   

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 22:42 »
Already this year...

Buy tomato plug plants, it's not worth sowing seeds for the couple of plants I need and they only grow leggy anyway.
Only use paper pots for pea, beans and sweetcorn. They stunt the growth of brassicas.
Go back to sowing leeks directly, transplanting is a faff and a waste.
Sow double the number of pumpkins and other squash so I can replace them when they all keel over 2 days after planting them out.
Sow aubergine and chilli MUCH earlier.

It's not been a good year for me so far. The raised beds in the garden are doing really well but the tiny allotment patch is a washout. It dries out too quickly for anything to germinate and I've just discovered that white rot as wiped out all my garlic and most of my onions.

My poor plot looks so bare, despite all my hard work  :(.

What a shame  :(  But I just wanted to say I LOVED The Moog - and Mavis Crewitt!  ahhh memories..... :happy:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 22:44 by Lady Lottie »
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Paul Plots

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 23:01 »
My resolution will probably be to give up the plot altogether :(
Mine is full of marestail and forget-me-nots I can't get rid of.
I haven't had enough time to cultivate enough ground to grow stuff and am finding it really hard work on my own so not sure if someone else can do better...

Buy a swoe - (a thing like a hoe but works forward and backwards - so it is more efficient & quicker. I managed to get one for just under £15 stainless-steel and it's brilliant) - keep swiping through the weeds and eventually they will give up hopefuilly before you do!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 23:06 »
I keep a daily diary using Word on the PC. It's great for keeping track of what I did and a good place for notes for what I want to do instead next year. I also add photos so I can see where I planted what and the results.

As well as this I have a planting plan for both plots which I update with dates - helps me remember for rotation (where's there's space to rotate!).

Next year (and the rest of this one):
  • Take photos earlier in the day instead of using flash because I have stayed there too long and it's dark!
  • try again with parsnips - eventually I will get them to grow!
  ;)

Lady Lottie

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 23:08 »
    I keep a daily diary using Word on the PC. It's great for keeping track of what I did and a good place for notes for what I want to do instead next year. I also add photos so I can see where I planted what and the results.

As well as this I have a planting plan for both plots which I update with dates - helps me remember for rotation (where's there's space to rotate!).

Next year (and the rest of this one):
    • Take photos earlier in the day instead of using flash because I have stayed there too long and it's dark!
    • try again with parsnips - eventually I will get them to grow!
      ;)
    [/list]

lol... ::) :lol: I have LOADS of pics of my plot in the dark too....so its not just you.... :wub: :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 23:21 »
    Re: Photos in the dark:

Perhaps the answer might be some of those solar-powered garden lights on my "would like for Christmas" list  :lol:

Lady Lottie

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2009, 23:28 »

Perhaps the answer might be some of those solar-powered garden lights on my "would like for Christmas" list  :lol:

Good thinking Learner! :D

Elaine G

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 00:28 »
    My resolution is the same every year - label the seeds when you sow them!
    One year I will get it right!

Elaine
    The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

DD.

• Global Moderator
    • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
    • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
    « Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 06:48 »

They're not powerful enough & if they are like mine, they grow legs & walk! >:(
    Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
    « Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 06:55 »
    Mine is to get that second plot, so i have more space that is not in the shade until lunch time.  We will be bale to grow more spuds sweet corns and pea's and maybe some fruit.

Also not have to do so much root removal next year as i would have done it all this year.
    Thanks
    Kris

themoog

• Experienced Member
    « Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 18:44 »
    Thanks for the sympathy about the white rot, it's such a tiny qauerter plot that it has a huge impact on rotation.

Never mind, just had carrots and peas from the garden for my tea with rhubarb cheesecakey thing for pud and that's cheered me up no end :).

I mean to keep a diary too...every year ::).

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 23:45 »

They're not powerful enough & if they are like mine, they grow legs & walk! >:(

Our allotment site is pretty safe (he says touching wood!). People leave tools and hose-pipes and heaven knows what out on their plots....so the lights would most likely survive but I can't see me getting any... not sure I trust the pigeons not to make a midnight raid as well as day-time fly-bys. Little s*ds!!  :(

Only time we have any problems are the bi-annual raid by the lads with bolt cutters and they are always after the same thing - light-weight petrol driven equipment that they can readily market   >:(

Beejay

• Experienced Member
    « Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 16:32 »
    I have made plans for next years rotation already. I always do it early so I can get my orders in as soon as I receive my Marshall's catalogue 8)
    The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
    « Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 20:33 »
    Hi, i agree with DD to some extent although i do sow the early veg in the greenhouse but this year i made a nursery bed out of an old tin bath for the later veg and i have had such good plants and the big benefit no hardening off.

xx
    Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
    Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
    by Rob the rake
    question
    Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
    Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
    by cc
    xx
    small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
    Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
    by shokkyy
    xx
    growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
    Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
    by mtoyne

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 36 queries.