Cauliflowers seperating

• 9 Replies

JuneFR

Cauliflowers seperating
« on: June 17, 2009, 21:58 »
1st time of growing cauli.  They are in raised beds, the leaf looks green, healthy and good but the cauli heads are going black or are seperating.  I have bent leaves over the heads (as it says in all of the books) What am I doing wrong.  Thanks...

Beetroot queen

Re: Cauliflowers seperating
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 22:06 »
I once tried caulis which did the same so I will be interested to know why.

They lookes stunning and went down hill very rapidly and then ended up on the compost heap  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 22:09 »
They need cutting when they look stunning! (Tight heads).

If you leave them in the hope they will get bigger, they'll certainly oblige, but will open up as they run to seed. This is perfectly natural.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 22:09 »
The ground is not firm enough i put a plank down and walk up and down it (the only time i walk on my beds) i do this for caulis and sprouts. Also never allow them to dry out as this will cause them to bolt.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 23:40 »
The ground is not firm enough i put a plank down and walk up and down it (the only time i walk on my beds) i do this for caulis and sprouts. Also never allow them to dry out as this will cause them to bolt.

I also make sure that I walk the soil down, and try to bug Chris into it...hes better at 12 stone than I am at 9...I lost all my sprouts last year through something so simple, but thats just a start
DD's spot on..once its over its over..take a small tight head and be chuffed..a lot of people dont even get a head (ok just me then  :( )

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:17 »
Forgot about the firm ground bit, as I read straight through "raised beds"! I know that this would be nigh on impossible with raised beds, but it's just to demonstrate.

I've just acquired an old, really heavy lawn roller and I run up and down a few times with it for the brassicas. I get strange looks, but they're coming on a treat. Not to be done if the ground's really wet though as you'll ruin the soil structure.

These are the brussells growing using this method:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:47 »
Thats a lot of brussels  :lol: We only have 4 that I know of (have a bed which kids didn't label when seeding)  :lol:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49 »
Gets windy here about Christmas time!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 11:18 »
Gets windy here about Christmas time!
Windy!!! I bet it was you that ruined the career of Micheal Fish when he said back in 87 "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!" and we all know what happened then don't we.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JuneFR

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02 »
Thanks all - I am now off to walk the plank!!

Raised beds appear to be giving their own challenges....

The curds are not large enough to eat about two and halve inches in diameter, and they do not look good to eat. 

xx
Seperating Slate chips from soil?

Started by beaker141 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 18:21
by bricoop
xx
my cauliflowers...

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:12
by nuttytart
xx
cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 07:27
by Missey
question
Help with cauliflowers

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 16:18
by mad mark

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 36 queries.