Rasps

• 8 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Rasps
« on: June 17, 2009, 21:02 »
Hiya peeps,

I bought 30 canes end of last year from a reputable online shop. I planted the canes as per instructions; however 10 have failed to show anything. I wrote to the company and to be fair they have reimbursed me for the no shows.

The other canes have grown minimal foliage and have maybe 4 raspberries on each. A fellow plotholder says his flew up in the first year and mine are duds. Should i expect large amounts of growth in their first year? Should i write to the company again stating my concerns?

any help appreciated.

steve

meterman

• Experienced Member
Re: Rasps
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 22:00 »
If you planted autumn last year you dont get fruit till next year on any new shoots that grow this year these are then cut back to the ground. Rasps are very heavy feeders as they set fruit on the 1 year old cane and send up next years new shoots at the same time.
Also when first planted mine only sent up 1 or 2 shoots per cane in their first year

Dominic

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:43 »
My raspberries went mental straight away, but a fair few of my other fruits were very sedate the first year.
Are they getting enough sun, people told me they are ok in shade, but the shaded ones are two foot high and the unshaded five foot.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 13:06 »
What sort of raspberries are they Summer fruiting or the Autumn type,my Autumn rasps have been in for four years now and this year are only just about 18 inches high its been a very cold winter/spring and everything is running 3/4 weeks behind even down here in tropical Dorset last year at this time I was picking a good amount of fruit from them, this year I have only seen 3 or 4 berries

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 15:17 »
Mine went mental as well. Autumn Bliss planted in a pot as per nursery instruction for planting in pot.  I have fruit on old canes which started ripening 3 weeks ago and new canes shot up.  When I got mine they were 10 in a small pot (heeled  I guess you call that) and were about 18" high.  I was told don't prune this year they already have been.  I planted out three to a very large pot can't remember what size of hand, but will measure if you want.  There was some sceptism that I had fruit so early, but apparently you do get a small bunch on autumn rasp early then more later, especially as not pruned to ground because it is there first year.  Much controversy but seems what I was told by the nursery is correct as all going well.  Planted in January (not november as I have said before, had a brain drain).
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 16:37 »
I planted 30 canes as well at the tail end of last year,they were from J Parkers .

There are only three that hav'nt done anything but to be honest I'm not bothered considering the price.They hav'nt gone mad as such but are growing but to be honest we didn't expect anything in the first season.....roll on next summer.

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 17:27 »
My new gooseberry, raspberry and loganberry aren't doing much apart from getting taller. Never expected much this year either mind  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 18:09 »
The first year for most fruits, particularly cane types, is to set in their roots. Any surface growth is a bonus but not mandatory. The 2nd year is when the roots are ready to put up lots of top growth. Soil condition is also a small factor in growth but fruit is normally a 2nd, even 3rd year result, so just be patient, keep feeding and watering your plants. I put in 3 Fall Gold rasps this year and only 2 started growing. The 3rd is sulking but I'm leaving it to sort itself out.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Rasps
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 20:52 »
They are Glen cova (early), Malling jewel (mid) and zeva (autumn). I had a huge rasp off the glen cova (one though!). We'll give them a chance though, thanks for the replies!

Steve

xx
Autumn Rasps vs Summer Rasps

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 09:17
by Debz
xx
Rasps

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 12:17
by MOLUSC
xx
Rasps

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2012, 14:03
by Goosegirl
xx
Rasps

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 22:29
by Plot74

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 36 queries.