Heeelp Onion Problem

• 14 Replies

vron

• Experienced Member
Heeelp Onion Problem
« on: June 16, 2009, 17:16 »
Can anyone help with a problem we are having with our onions, they were planted out in May and have been growing along nicely until about 7days ago.

Then we noticed 3 plants, their leaves had started to curl, like a pigs tail, that was last Wednesday, by Friday more had started to curl and the leaves then flop and go soft, this has affected both shop bought sets (stuttgarter) and home grown seed (Unwins exhibition and Ailsa Craig).

The other strange thing is even when the leaves are first emerging, instead of growing straight as normal, some are already curled as they emerge.
I am unable to show any pics as I don't yet have the softwhere to allow me to download them from my phone camera.

There are quite a few allotmenteers on our site with the same problem but know one knows what it is.

Please can you help.
Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Heeelp Onion Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 17:45 »
There have been a couple of threads on this recently. Here's one.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38812.0

It appears though that we never got to the bottom of it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 18:00 »
Don't seem to have got to the bottom of the curly tomato leaves either come to think of it..........I just blame the weather.............for everything :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 18:05 »
Curly leaf toms is common and nothing to worry about. However this onion business seems to have sprung up recently.

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 19:14 »
Hopefully here are the pics, as you can see the plant is a bit wilted now, but the roots are very healthy, the outer casing of the bulb was very soft and spongy, so I split open the bulb and under the 3rd layer it appears to look healthy but strange

There are no silver streaks on the leaves and no rotting, they just curl and flop over, as I said some are even emerging curled.
One plotholder who took several affected plants to Webbs of Wychbold Garden Centre said it could be herbicide. We did have a quarter load of manure 20 months ago, last years onions we absolutely fine.

Picture 10.jpg
Picture 11.jpg
Picture 12.jpg
Picture 13.jpg

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 19:14 »
Final pic
Picture 14.jpg

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 19:50 »
We would appreciate knowing the cause of this problem. We have 3  plots of onions , sets planted at the same time ,around 1,000 in total. The middle plot seem "normal" while the plots either side are showing this curly way of growing. I inspected the roots of one and it seems OK , no evil maggots or white mould ! We have nt put any manure on the ground for a few years ,only use our home made compost .

I wonder if the curly leafed onions will develop decent sized bulbs. June is the month when the bulbs swell, so I am keeping my eye on them.

I have been searching every website I can think of but this strange phenomenon is not mentioned. I have been growing veg for 34 years , never seen this before.

As said before curly leaves on tomatoes are nothing to worry about but on onions !! Strange !!
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

greg.t

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 00:16 »
l'm no expert but looking at those pic's it looks like stem and bulb eelworm, even close inspection of the roots would show nothing they are microscopic attacking inside which creates the weird twisting and curling of leaves but then again l'm no expert... ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:43 »
Have a look at this. It was mentioned as a possible cause by "azubah" on another thread.

Allium Leaf Miner Damage

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 07:36 »
Have a look at this. It was mentioned as a possible cause by "azubah" on another thread.

Allium Leaf Miner Damage

Good shout DD, have to say that's exactly how some of my onions look now.
My neighbours onions look unaffected though. I'll have a snoop to see if I can spot the grub and just pull the infected ones up.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 07:38 »
Thanks DD , it certainly looks as if the leaf miner may be the culprit. We are not that far from Wolverhampton . Its annoying to say the least , we can t imagine not growing onions ,will avoid planting near this years plot and see if that helps next year. It does nt seem to have affected the leeks or garlic thank goodness.

Libby

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:40 »
I have had the same problem on my plot but upon examining the bulbs nothing can be seen.   I have read up and if there is nothing present in the bulb, it is possibly the bulb and stem eel worm.  The onion leaves twist, curl and distort and the bulb swells prematurely. It seems that you can still use the bulb but it won't store.  The eel worm lives in the soil and is microscopic. 

vron

• Experienced Member
Iv'e found the culprit---Onion problem
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 15:16 »
Hi everyone, I think I might have found the culprit.
I got out my magnifying glass & went exploring, this is what I found.

Nothing apparent in the bulb or roots, but upon slicing open each leaf I found these little 3mm long pupae, brown in colour as you can see, one still in situ, the other I removed from inside a mature leaf.

What pest do they belong to, how shall I proceed & do I destroy the entire crop
Picture 15.jpg
Picture 16.jpg
Picture 17.jpg

vron

• Experienced Member
Re: Iv'e found the culprit---Onion problem
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 15:17 »
here are the other 3 pics
Picture 18.jpg
Picture 19.jpg
Picture 20.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 16:27 »
Oh Poo - my onions are looking much the same  >:(

Really helpful picture vron, I'll go grab one that looks sick and see if I can find anything in the leaves.

Look what I found in a leaf crease about the size of a grain of rice. The bulb and roots looks clear though.
Image0064small.jpg
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 16:42 by Lardman »

xx
Onion Problem

Started by Andy999 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 08:19
by Gandan57
xx
Onion problem

Started by Weessy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 19:41
by shokkyy
xx
onion problem

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 12:54
by Jakell
xx
Onion problem - any help please

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 15:12
by Goosegirl

Page created in 1.661 seconds with 38 queries.