Lettuce yellowing

• 3 Replies

hubballi

Lettuce yellowing
« on: June 15, 2009, 20:16 »
I have a raised bed on stilts with compost in which I planted some cos and red lettuce. I feed with seaweed but apart from not really growing much, the outside leaves of the cos start to yellow and die. Some have just rotted to the core. I pull them of and the next layers go the same way. While I am at it, the newly planted rocket and spinach have bolted already. I keep the spinnach in the shaded area of the bed but it still doesn't seem to like it. :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lettuce yellowing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 22:51 »
Could you be overwatering?

Is it possible that you're overfeeding?  I don't think most salad leaves like too much fertiliser - too much nitrogen and they can be too sappy?  Spinach may be an exception to this as it has a longer period?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:09 »
My newly planted rocket and spicey leaves bolted as well, I'm sure I only did them three weeks ago.  Pain isn't it.  Some of my lettuce has done the same as yours as well.  I didn't know they don't like too much fertiliser, that could be my problem.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:35 »
Theyre pretty easy plants to grow and can be usually left to get on with it, my first thoughts were over feeding too
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Yellowing between the vains.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2022, 13:52
by JayG
xx
Strawberries yellowing

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 10:10
by WG.
xx
yellowing garlic

Started by lilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 19:51
by DavidT
xx
Yellowing Celery

Started by rsindigo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 08:07
by Kristen

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 36 queries.