spinach changes

• 4 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
spinach changes
« on: June 15, 2009, 18:01 »
Hi everyone,

I have been happily picking spinach for a few weeks now. For most of this time the plants were full and bushy and I was picking leaves from all plants. Suddenly the plants have shot up n height, with the stems lengthening by inches in days and the new growth on the plants looks different. I am new to this and wondered if anyone could tell me what happens as spinach starts to go to seed or bolt? I'm trying to decide whether to pick it all for freezing. Thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: spinach changes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 18:21 »
Sounds to me as though the plant is putting up a flower stalk.  The leaves tend to go bitter when that happens.  I'd remove the remaining leaves sooner rather than later, and just check some for taste before freezing the rest.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

manna

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 18:37 »
it's definitely bolting. you can pick out the thickened central stalk, that looks like it may produce a flower. this will delay the process, but not stop it, unfortunately. I eat mine anyway - bit of garlic and butter and it's fine!

Did you plant it this year? if so that's very early to bolt - you may want to investigate varieties. Mine started bolting last month from last spring's  planting. by choosing the right variety you can get spinach for most of the year - it tends to die down in the winter, but perks up a bit in the spring, and gives you another month or so of leaves before starting to bolt, by which time this years will be planted, hopefully. I use a slow to bolt perpetual spinach, not a true spinach, but just as good, I think.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 22:18 »
Ive grown perpetual and normal spinach.  Normal bolted almost as soon as it was mature (and bear in mind Im in Scotland!).  Perpetual is looking good though.  May be that Im using raised beds this year and it dried out in the hot spell a few weeks ago.  Perpetual all the way from now on, and I think it tastes better raw  8)

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 16:46 »
Thanks all. I have now harvested all the spinach. I don't mind too much as I now have room for more cucumbers, which beat spinach any day! Kermit perhaps it was our 'hot' Scottish weather that did it! To be honest I have no idea if my variety is true or perpetual. It was called medina. Does anyone know?

xx
perpetual spinach - spinach beet

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:25
by viettaclark
xx
spinach beet, perpetual spinach

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:32
by viettaclark
xx
spinach, good spinach

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:30
by Annie
xx
spinach

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 17:23
by hermon

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.