Eggbound or broody?

• 4 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Eggbound or broody?
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:51 »
Another day another worry.  One of my ex-batts is not coming out of the nest box.  She was in there for a couple of hours yesterday and continually scratching the nest box floor, like she was trying to get comfortable.  She was panting(!), can't think of how else to describe it, and no noise coming out.  I encouraged her out and she was fine for the rest of the day.  Now today it's the same thing again.  I was worried about her being egg bound?  Or is she broody?

Vember

Re: Eggbound or broody?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:03 »
Does sound more egg bound than broody to me :(
Do you know when she last laid?
Have a good feel at her underneath gently to see if you can feel an egg.
If you can then a calcium tablet crushed up in her water will help her muscles relax also sitting her in a warm bath should help :)

Only other advise I can give is take her to a good vets, they will possibly if she's egg bound give her a calcium injection :)

Sarah :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00 »
I will try and feel her undercarriage when I get home this evening.  Will try the calcium tablet, how much does she need to drink to have an effect and how soon will it work?  Will also try the warm bath.  Do I just hold her in it?  Will it still work if she tenses up because she's not that used to being held. 
Due to my obvious in-experience (see above), I think the vets is probably the best plan.  How soon will it get serious, should I try to take her this evening, or give her a bit longer.
Thanks for the advice, she is my favourite hen (if you are allowed to have favourites).

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:29 »
I would take her asap to the vets :) If you are going to take her don't give her the calcium tab though wait and see what he/she suggests :)

Impossible to say how quick the water an calcium will take to work, will depend on how much she drinks and the size of her :) 

Personally never had an egg bound hen but when the goose was I gave her half a calcium tablet straight down her throat with in a couple of hours both eggs were out :D Very lucky I didn't loose her :)

Sarah :D

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 15:29 »
Many many thanks for the advice.  I will leave work earlier enough to take her to the vets, if she still looks like she's having problems.

xx
Eggbound?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 09:31
by Prod
xx
Is she eggbound?

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:01
by yolkie
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT
xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 36 queries.