Sneezing Chooks

• 23 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Sneezing Chooks
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:37 »
Hi all,

Although I've kept chickens for a couple of years I've been fortunate not to have had any real health problems. Recently added 4 newbies, all about 5 months old, one of them began sneezing after a few days, not lots, maybe 2 or 3 time an hour. Trouble is now all 6 of my girls are snuffling and their nostrils are getting a bit bunged up. I took one of them to my vet who said that he though it was a respiratory infection but advised me to watch over them for a couple of weeks to see how they progressed as if they needed antibiotics, I couldn't eat any of their eggs for a month! All are now laying, so that's a lot of eggs to lose.

We've been keeping their nostrils as clean as possible (not easy with free rangers who share a field with sheep during the day - didn't know they would find sheep poo so interesting - yuk!), they are all happy, very active, eat and drink plenty, so wondered if anyone has any advice please.

Thanks,
Tazzy

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Re: Sneezing Chooks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:11 »
 :unsure: An update - gone out to them this morning, most are fine, but one has gone downhill overnight. Not moving very much, eyes bright, comb and wattles as normal but fighting for breath, taking in slightly rasping gulps through her beak. Nostrils appear clear, slight clear discharge. Any advice please, will get her to the vets tomorrow, but am worried about her as I know how quickly they can deteriorate  :(  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18 »
unfortunatly hens like all other animals hide any problems as long as they can (survival), and when any problem is noticed it is often quite serious. Ask the people that you got the new ones off if they have had any problems or advice about it - if reputable they should be willing to help. Give your chuck sugar/honey water to help keep her strength up and keep her comfotable. lots of fluids and tlc
Staffies are softer than you think.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36 »
Tazzy,

I lost a hen with a respiratory complaint, despite having an injection of anti-biotics from the Vet.  In my opinion,  never worth "waiting and watching," as they can go down hill fast - as you know.

All the rest had anti-biotics in their water, with good outcome, but poor Clarabelle was too ill to drink.  I'd rather lose eggs than a hen.

Good luck,

cathangirl.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 13:41 »
Can you remember what sort of medication it was and how long you were egg-less, so to speak? Don't want to run the risk of any of the others going the same way, just hope she's ok until tomorrow. Just checked on her and although she seems about the same she is poised in a nesting box. Not sure if she wants to lay or if it's just cooler there for her.

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 14:21 »
Sorry to hear about your hens.   I have had my chucks now for just over two weeks, total newbie, found an excellant breeder who has been brillant.   So i got two cuckoo marans, absoutley gorgeous girls.   So got them home on the Friday, saturday morning went into them and both were blowing clear bubbles out of their nostrils, i was gobsmacked to say the least, now i know nothing about chucks but it doesnt take a genius to work out that something wasnt right.   So left them for a couple of days to see wot happened, on the tuesday they were no better so i rang the guy and he came round straight away, no question asked, believe me they were perfectely healthy when i collected them and when i visited them previously.   So he checked them over gave them a big dose of something and then put it in their water mixed with garlic, that was last week, he only gave clara a 70% survival but told me to give them a couple of weeks.   Now a week on they are brillant although it was scarey as obviously i am very attached to them.   He reckons it was all the stress of moving to a new home and on reading through the forum i reckon so aswell.      nickyx

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 14:34 »
That's encouraging to hear Nicky - any idea what it was that he mixed in with the garlic?

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 15:06 »
Though I'd post any updates in case anyone else has similar problems. We've been giving her sugar water from a syringe which she has accepted gratefully, so will hopefully keep her fluid levels up this way. My wife is out there as I speak with the kettle and a steaming solution of water/rosemary/eucalyptus in the bottom of the pen under the nestbox. Rosie (the poorly chuck) seems quite settled in the nestbox and not as distressed as before. This treatment has been going on for the last half an hour and her breathing is definitely easier - not the huge gulping breaths that I saw this morning. A long way to go yet but fingers crossed. No other chucks can get in, so no chance of them being able to get to the steaming stuff.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 15:24 »
fingers crossed for her  :D

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 19:40 »
Ask your vet for Baytril, no point leaving the chook to die whilst the Vet has a perfectly good medicine to cure her.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 19:53 by Aunt Sally »

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 19:58 »
Thanks for that - we're doing the best we can until I can get her to the vets tomorrow. What is Baytril and what's the best way to administer it?

I've been syringing her with sugar water during the day, and although she hasn't gone to the feeder or water containers, she's wolfed down moistened bread from my hand. Trying to get her to have as much as she will readily take as her crop is very empty.

She did move out of the nest box during the afternoon and took a wander around the garden, nibbling on the odd greenfly here and there; now she's perched for the night in her usual spot so I'm hoping she will be ok until tomorrow.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 20:12 »
Hold fire with the bread, it really isn't good for them.
Any Dioralyte in the house?

I use baytril orally. It really is effective but make sure you finish the course.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 21:13 »
'Any Dioralyte in the house?'

You mean as in the stuff we take to replenish electrolytes? Think so, but not sure. Can I only get Baytril from the vets, and do you add it to the water?

:unsure: In case anyone took my comments about the eggs the wrong way - don't mind how long we can't eat them for as long as the girls get well, just that I've had a lot of conflicting information and not sure what to do for the best.
  :)

nzdunn

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 21:14 »
That's encouraging to hear Nicky - any idea what it was that he mixed in with the garlic?

No sorry havnt a clue wot he gave to them, it was loads of the stuff anyway           nickyx

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 19:04 »
An update for anyone who may be interested.

We got Rosie to the vets first thing this morning and she had a shot of Baytril with mopre medication to do the rest of the girls. He did say that anything you can do to help their breathing, such as steam etc whilst waiting to get to your vet can only help to make them more comfortable.

Within a couple of hours she had perked back up a bit, still breathing a bit laboured, but much easier than she was. She was also happy to mooch about the pen and assert her authority when some corn was dished out. Hopefully things will move upwards now.

Anyone got any advice on dosing Baytril? I know they say mix it with so much water, but to make sure they get equal measures, is it possible to administer it like worming powder, ie, putting an amount inside a grape?

xx
Sneezing?

Started by chickpea87 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:36
by kimT
xx
sneezing

Started by Pol on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 15:50
by Pol
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Sneezing

Started by Sooz on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 07:44
by Sooz

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 38 queries.