Raspberries ...

• 3 Replies

wellingtons

Raspberries ...
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:14 »
... can you tell, just by looking at 'em, if they're summer or autumn fruiting?  And how long, on average, do raspberry canes remain productive for? And if they push up new baby plants are these true to type and will they be productive?

The reasons for the questions is I've inherited an under performing raspberry patch.

Bobby T

Raspberries ...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:42 »
In a similar position myself.
  If flowers/fruit appear on last years wood they are summer fruiting.If on this seasons they are Autumn.
  The growers say limited life but so would I if I was selling them for a living :!:
  Mine are getting a second chance.New bed,space to breath and plenty of muck&TLC. I should be so lucky :)   Bob

beansticks

Raspberries ...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 13:08 »
If the growth is all over the cane they are summer fruiting,if the growth is only at ground level they are probably autumn fruiting.Life span probably 10-12 years.New canes for summer fruiting varieties can be tied in to horizontal wires once existing canes have fruited and been cut down.Autumn canes should be cut to the ground in february.

wellingtons

Hmmm ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 13:39 »
... will have to give them another looking at beansticks, cos I'm now fairly certain I've got some of one and some of another ...  :shock:

clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2018, 20:49
by oldgrunge
xx
Raspberries

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 21:20
by Armleywhite
xx
Raspberries

Started by Hitman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2015, 14:38
by crh75
xx
raspberries

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:38
by IanYORK

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.