Re: what am I doing wrong (cabbages )
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 21:41 »
so a butterflies bum can fit through debris netting?  >:(
ive just bought loads of it too!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 21:45 »
It sure can  - raise it high enough above your veggies and make sure you dont plant too close to the edge of the bed

My friend found tons of eggs and holes today on his gorgeous brassicas (that were so good they drew the whole site in for oohs and aahhs).  Hes gutted, though I did warn him, he had no more netting to raise the height and hoped itd be ok  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

kungfupanda

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 23:05 »
My Husband (Cabbage Man) says boil 2 or 3 rhubarb leaves in 1/2 gallon of water for 10 minutes or steep a big bundle of cabbage leaves in a half full water barrel for a month. Spray or water your cabbages with the resultant liquid once a week and after heavy rain. This will help mask the chemical signature of the brassicas when the cabbage whites land and so camoflage them. This will not totally prevent caterpiller infestations but should reduce them to a manageable level without the use of man made pesticides. This concoction also seems to help keep blackfly off my broad beans and runners. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 23:26 by noshed »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 06:34 »
My Husband (Cabbage Man) says boil 2 or 3 rhubarb leaves in 1/2 gallon of water for 10 minutes or steep a big bundle of cabbage leaves in a half full water barrel for a month. Spray or water your cabbages with the resultant liquid once a week and after heavy rain. This will help mask the chemical signature of the brassicas when the cabbage whites land and so camoflage them. This will not totally prevent caterpiller infestations but should reduce them to a manageable level without the use of man made pesticides. This concoction also seems to help keep blackfly off my broad beans and runners. :)

will try today I have placed a larger net on the cabbages so fingers crossed

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 18:31 »
That's an old treatment, kungfupanda, and what you choose to do on your plot is obviously up to you, but for the wider readership I do just need to point out that use of home-made remedies against pests and diseases is no longer legal  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Whats wrong with me cabbages ?????

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2006, 18:23
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
growing cabbages from seed,what am I doing wrong?

Started by darren64 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 23:46
by flitwickone
angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
cabbages

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 14:59
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 30 queries.