New Keeper with 2 week old chicks

• 42 Replies

GoldenFleece

New Keeper with 2 week old chicks
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:45 »
I have just collected my 4 chicks and am looking forward to becoming a proficient chicken keeper, having never had any before. My chicks have been here for 2 days and are in a large box with plenty of water and crumbs. However today they appear to be breathing really fast (panting) and are lying down a lot. (there is no heat lamp on and they are in my back boot room which is light and airy) Is this normal chick behaviour or could they be ailing?
I was thinking about putting them outside in the run for a few hours today as it is so warm and sunny - a good or bad idea?

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: New Keeper with 2 week old chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19 »
Welcome to the Forum and chicken keeping GF,
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your Q, but sure someone will be along to help soon.  It doesn't sound right to me though.  I thought heat lamps were still needed at 2 weeks, but I have never raised my own.  I bought mine as pol.
Good luck,
cathangirl

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24 »
They still need heat at 2 weeks old  approx 30degrees c

You're very lucky that they are still with you in my opinion!

Are you able to set a lamp up just above the box to give them some warmth.

Sarah :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:25 »
They need heat lamps for 5 weeks and need to be kept at 37.5c for the first week. Then reduce heat by 5 degrees "ish" each week.  ONLY ON THE 5th WEEK PUT THEM OUT SIDE.
I agree with Vember you are lucky they are alive.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:27 by Roughlee Handled »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34 »
I'm shocked that the "breeder" or where ever you got them from didn't explain to you that they would need heat!
Books are also a good place to start before buying any animal.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37 »
Think this site is better than books as everyone has come across lots of different problems and made mistakes that we can all learn from.  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:45 »
What I was tryng to get at Joyful is maybe people should do some research before rather than after.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51 »
Think this site is better than books as everyone has come across lots of different problems and made mistakes that we can all learn from.  :D

But Joyfull people's mistakes should not cause animals pain or suffering.  You must MUST READ, RESEARCH your subject.  We are here for advice yes and I hope I am not stepping out of line but I do not feel we are here as a replacement for books.  Its like purchaseing a car before knowing how to drive and calling a instructor when you do not know what the peddles do. YOU JUST DO NOT DO IT.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:20 by GrannieAnnie »

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:54 »
My animals have NEVER HAD ANY PAIN OR SUFFERING! I reaserched on here before getting my hens.

Vember

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:00 »
To be fair Joyfull it was never suggested that your birds had ever suffered in anyway :)

It was just being suggested that people in general should maybe do some research before getting animals be that through a forum or through a book :D

matilda duck

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:00 »
It's true!!   I was told I could only have our ducks if I read up on them first!!  I did just that!  I read books and the internet for information ........and then when I had the ducks I joined here for more INformation!!!!!    
When we said about getting chickens I had all sorts of books and took alot of knowledge off here!!!

The lady I had our last lot of ducks from(Not Kate ::) hadn't got a clue how to look after these 2 ducks...they were fed on kitchen scraps  never put to bed and the kids hated the mess they left on the grass!!!!!   THEY ARE DUCKS WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??????

I am still learning every day on this site.....you wouldn't go out and get a dog without checking it was suitable????  I think people think that keeping chickens/ducks is different to cats,dogs ect......they still need vet bills, feeds, and all of that is easily forgotten....

Thought over I am getting out of a different side of the bed tomorrow!!!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07 »
And all I am saying is books are not as good for information as the advice on here -  but roughlee said "But Joyfull your mistakes should not cause animals pain or suffering", which personally I found rather offensive. Perhaps I am being over sensitive here but my animals welfare is paramount and I feel I care for my pets as good as most and probably better than some.
Yes the other person should have sought advice first and yes the breeder should have explained what they should do care wise, but that is what they are trying to do now.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12 »
I WAS NOT POINTING ANY FINGER AT YOU.

I said

.........But Joyfull your mistakes should not cause animals pain or suffering.  .........

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Vember

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 11:14 »
And all I am saying is books are not as good for information as the advice on here -  but roughlee said "But Joyfull your mistakes should not cause animals pain or suffering", which personally I found rather offensive.

That was not the way in which it was intended I know that for sure :) It was a generalization :D Not at all targeted at any one person :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 11:15 »
Calm down Joyfull!!  Roughlee meant that as a general 'your' not a your 'your'!!!  If you know what I mean!

It's just that chicken keeping is the 'in' thing at the moment, and as you know, not something to go into lightly as with any animal.

People phone me up for chicks.  The first one was Easter last year when I got an email from my blog saying have I got any Easter chicks for sale?  They got a resounding no, as they just wanted some chicks for the children to play withat Easter, but of course they have to be small yellow and fluffy!!

I always ask people what sort of set up they have before letting chicks go, and I don't often sell them younger than 4 weeks anyway.

That's why we are so against the garden centres selling tiny ducklings one at a time!!

xx
Hen keeper for ONE WEEK!

Started by violet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 14:54
by violet
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
xx
Day old/week old chicks

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 21:02
by WG.

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 37 queries.