goose eggs gone cold

• 34 Replies

wildwitchy

Re: goose eggs gone cold
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 00:07 »
I've done them again tonight. One was def a no no - i chucked that. It hadn't even got past the yolk stage hardly. Now I've got 3.

There is one - its the very pointed one - i think thats a dud, but i'll leave a couple more days just to be sure.

The other two I've seen something moving in them tonight!  :D

Sarah the air cells are like in pic DSC00750.JPG & in the other egg it is a little misshapen.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 00:13 by wildwitchy »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:26 »
Yeah, some are good  :D, thats great news so pleased for you. When are they do to hatch?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 09:37 »
Great news that you've seen two moving WW :D

Did you pick the eggs up yourself or were they posted?

The air cells do look quite big for the stage they are at, but that could be a result of older eggs or posting.

Are they under a broody or in an incy?

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40 »
fingers crossed for you!!! Quite hard to see from a piccy :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 12:00 »
I put them under Eva on weds  3rd June, so if I'm correct that would be 8th July is day 35. But thats an average isn't it?

The eggs were posted to me sarah.

The lady said they were the last lot she had so some were a bit old (some were 5 days ish by the time i got them) so she gave me them for free (I just paid post) & to take a chance on them. Which I thought was nice of her considering I contacted her out the blue.

Been under my Indian brahma. Bless her she has sat on them almost faithfully except when she got confused. I think was my fault with the plastic eggs. I thought the air cells were a bit big in some myself ? (What I know about all of this you can write on a stamp!)  ::) There is one I'm really hoping on, it's a roman x american buff (but I'm not hopeful)  :( from a lovely goose called Junior who was a rescue.

Thanks Foxy - I'm crossing everything possible!  :lol: It's seeing sarah/Moco's thread & I'm getting right anxious over my eggs & the thought of little gosling feet all over the place. 

Vember

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 12:40 »
Hi Ww

Air cells will be ok as they were posted, amazing what going through the post does to them :) 
If they hadn't been posted then the eggs would have been a lot older than 5 days for the air cell to get to the size they are now (not that matters now :lol:) :D

Bigger breeds do take longer to hatch, mine were out day 28  :) So you never know they might be earlier than the 8th :D

Will keep everything crossed for them :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 12:47 »
Thankyou Sarah. I will start pacing then from around day 28!!  :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 13:08 »
Just an update on this old thread. I candled again. 1 egg is showing signs of life quite well - good thick veins, good colour etc & movements within. On day 19 today. The other one is unsure. Unfortunatly the egg from Junior (american buff x roman was no good)  :(

I'm a bit worried about having a lone gosling (if the other egg doesn't make it, i'm not hopeful at all) so I've I'm picking 2 x month old babies up next week (via norfolk geese/gullivers geese). That will be nice day out in craven arms, Shropshire! Hope the weather is good.

These are unsexed. Can tips on sexing as I don't want 2 ganders. I'd like some lovely goosey eggs!

Vember

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 16:06 »
Unless you vent sex it's very tricky :( And vent sexing is very tricky, as the girlies have a bit that looks like a boys bits when young :( 

Only thing I can say is usually the ganders are bigger, when I got Paige & Bumps I was told to pick the smallest, I bowed to experience although I was convinced I was being palmed off with the runts as they looked so much smaller than the others, turned out the woman was right both are girlies :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 23:32 »
Thats a handy tip. How do embdens do for eggs? When I checked the eggs tonight I couldn't see much, the gosling was filling the egg.  :happy: I felt a beak scraping the inside or I thought I did?  :unsure:

Vember

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 06:51 »
Crumb & Co have given me an egg every other day since Feb  :D

It is possible when you pick them up for candling to feel them moving about in their shell normally this happens in the last week before hatch :) I nearly dropped Monty 'cause it made me jump, a very odd sensation :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 20:10 »
cor blimey! a week before! I didn't think it was this soon - I haven't got the towels and hot water ready yet!  :ohmy: Yes it did feel strange under my hands! Well I think I felt it?

That's good that you've had eggs since feb. I'm so excited about having them. Hubby has repaired the pond as we had a leak. I dropped a brick in it. Ahem.  :closedeyes:

Vember

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 20:27 »
:lol:  It can take up to 4 days from internal pip to hatch  :ohmy:, these last 2 lots took 3 :)
Once they do internal pip that movement becomes less obvious as they are settling into position for hatch :)

As for the brick ~ whoops  :lol: I had  a pond disaster a few years ago, dug the pond got the liner ready in the hole, put hose on liner to fill and bam 2 dogs appeared from no where landing in the bottom of the hole leaving huge scratch marks in the liner  :mad: Should have thought to put them away first ::) They've always loved playing with water and join in any water fights with the super soakers (they just run and bark, they don't have a super soaker :lol:) said a few choice words, but what could I do they were just playing as we'd done before :lol:
When I got a new liner I put them in before turning the tap on :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 23:04 »
Day 20. Couldn't see a thing candling tonight on goosey egg.  :wacko:

I think it's full t' bostin.

I've convinced the dog that the new pond is a bath and so far she has steered clear of it.  :lol:

She used always try to get in the water at the park, so this is a major triumph in GSD psycology.

Work this out - dog loves the rivers,park lake etc - hates the bath ?  :blink:

Ex police dogs - no wonder the police throw them out. Bless her.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 23:23 »
I have some hope for you - i was away overnight at my other half's the weekend before my quails were due to hatch and i came home to find out that i'd run out of electric on the meter.  I was really annoyed with myself and the eggs were all stone cold. I have no idea how long they had been like that.

Anyway, they were due last friday and they have been hatching and scratching since sunday just gone so keep your fingers crossed, keep em warm and keep turning til the stopping day you might well be ok? I hope you will.x

xx
GOOSE EGGS

Started by parthenipirate on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 16:23
by parthenipirate
xx
Goose eggs

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 13:01
by Honeysuckle
xx
goose eggs

Started by karenn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 22:10
by muntjac
xx
Goose eggs!!!

Started by Nails on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 16:10
by poppies

Page created in 1.052 seconds with 37 queries.