Jack Russell Needed For Ratting - Bucks

• 7 Replies

Shell Less

Jack Russell Needed For Ratting - Bucks
« on: June 09, 2009, 16:43 »
Has anyone used a pack of Jack Russells to get rid of any rat!!.  We've seen two in our garden, and i know there will be many more.  Now i've purchased a box from B&Q but i swear they are too big to get into it!!  As i am a big animal lover, apart from rats!!!, i was wondering if anyone has used terriers for ratting, if so, where did you find them and can you point me in the right direction!  Now some of you may accuse me of being cruel, it isn't, jack russells were breed for ratting and its a quick and simple way of getting rid of the rats.

themagicaltoad1

Re: Jack Russell Needed For Ratting - Bucks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 18:14 »
Hi
My jack russell is an excellent ratter she's killed several and I didn't even know there were any about! she was from a rescue, I think it's just in their nature to chase and kill things, I have to make double sure she's locked in when I let my newly aquired chicks out or she'd kill them too.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 20:44 »
Hi,
I have two Jack Russells, great at keeping the rat population down. They are not very happy at the moment as we have moved and the rats haven't found us yet ::)
Sorry I live in Kent, so too far away to let you borrow them.
They are also great with the chickens and chicks, they have been bought up not to touch anything with feathers, one of them even caught an escaped quail and bought it back to me alive.  :)

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 21:47 »
I must have the only Jack Russell in the world that is scared of things like rats and cats! and even sits happily in my rabbit shed while the baby rabbits climb all over him!  :blink: has done this all his life and he is twelve now ......... he wont even go down holes

What a sissy Rascal is but I love him ....

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

bubs

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 22:03 »
whilst locking up one night we trapped a rat in the chicken shed so my father shouted to fetch  my sisters jack russell bitch down {lives a few doors away} , my sister has got a pet ferret that actually lives freely in their house {no cage} and this bitch actually plays with the ferret and sleeps with the ferret in my sisters bed {its unreal}.
anyhow we sent the dog into the shed and turned the lights on , the chickens were up on their perches the rat ran straight up the wooden wall and was clinging onto the ledge just behind the chickens one of the chickens pecked the rat and the rat leaped onto the perch then another chicken pecked and threw the rat down onto the floor where the dog killed it .
i was then panicing the dog might kill the ferret but the ferret still rules the house  :)

Shell Less

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 19:16 »
Hi
My jack russell is an excellent ratter she's killed several and I didn't even know there were any about! she was from a rescue, I think it's just in their nature to chase and kill things, I have to make double sure she's locked in when I let my newly aquired chicks out or she'd kill them too.

Where do you live?? Can i borrow Her!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 21:15 »
As much as I'd like to help you out, (esp as I'm also in Bucks), I couldn't lend her to you as she came from a rescue and would think I'd given her away, poor thing. What about using those green box things with poison in them, if you fixed a wire cage around them with holes big enough for the rat to get through but safe from your chooks?

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 21:44 »
trina my jack is like yours , hes to old now but he did bring up 17 kittens . soon as mum had given birth an checked they were fine with thier first meal she could not get out the house quick enough so buddy took over , bless him he did it with all 3 litters .
p.s get a bait box my girls live on the allotments an i had 2 rats in the run { i know where they get in as well } since i have had the bait box i have not seen one rat or mouse .
this is something i would never ever do but i have to take in all the other plot holders feelings .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Hen Houses to buy in Herts, Beds and Bucks

Started by thelittlers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 16:50
by retribution
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Help needed

Started by bally on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 18:13
by Viv
xx
Help given and help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by nippynoodles1985 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 03:55
by nippynoodles1985

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 29 queries.