How do I grow chilli & pepper plants?

• 6 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
How do I grow chilli & pepper plants?
« on: June 08, 2009, 23:32 »
I've been given a pepper plant called Redskin and a chilli plant called Etna.

I have never grown either type of plant before and have no idea what to do with them!  :wacko:

Are they happiest in the greenhouse?
Do they go in open ground, a pot or a grow bag?

Do I need to give them any special TLC?

Here's the Chilli:

and the pepper:

And have I lost it before I've started.... what are the black marks at the stem joints?

Any help greatly received.... don't let me kill them  :ohmy:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: How do I grow chilli & pepper plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31 »
The purply black marks on the stem are just pigment I think, many of my peppers have similar markings and they seem to be more common on some varieties than others.

Both your plants will do best in a greenhouse but you may get away with growing them outside if we have a lovely hot summer. Looking out of the window right now it doesn't look like a lovely hot summer though!!

I am not so sure about the bell pepper, but the chili will do better if it is kept on the dry side and not fed too much, otherwise you'll get a larger plant with fewer fruit.

I have never bothered pinching out my chilis and they seem to grow fine, they just get a bit bushy, but the leaves are small so it is still easy to get at the fruit unlike tomatoes.

Er.... can't think of anything else, I am sure some more experienced chili people will be along at some point with some other tips   ;)

hectic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42 »
I am by no means an expert with chillies and peppers but am in my second year so will chuck in my 2 penneth!

They are easy chaps to grow, mine are planted in pots and last year lived outside tho they do need time to acclimatise so had them out for a few hours a day when it was sunny and eventually they were fine.

This year I have gone a bit mad and now have 25 living in the green house. They seem to prefer it there tbh its nice and warm and away from the slugs who seem to love them.

Dont over water them they are used to a hot climate and put their efforts into fruiting so I've been advised to let them almost dry out which is easy in a greenhouse!  :unsure:
Add some tomorite to your water once a week and as they grow they will probably need some support as they can get top heavy.

However I will prob need to pollinate the flowers myself eventually they grow into a pretty bush which can be cut back and used the next year

Hope that helps - I'm sure someone far more experienced than me will be able to offer better advice!

Not sure what the black marks are but think its natural.......

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05 »
Well you live and learn! I treated all my tomatoes chillis and peppers the same way! Water and feed, water and feed the bigger the pot the better! Now I know better! Who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks!! It just proves that no question is too stupid, no matter how trivial it might seem, if you dont know the answer. I've learned something new today thats for sure. Thankyou, Tatty

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51 »
They look really healthy plant.  :D

Just stick them in 8"-10" pots, perhaps add a cane for support. Feed weekly, with tomato food slightly stronger than normal. There's normally enough water in the tom food to keep them wet enough.

They're ornamental peppers so don't hide them away in the green house - they do like rather pretty covered in multicolour peppers.

They really need potting on ASAP though!!!

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 21:24 »
Right... I've potted them up into pots a few inches bigger and will leave them with my Mum while we're away with strict instructions not to over water them!

I'll move them into bigger pots when I get back and start feeding them!

Thanks for the advice  :)

pevitt

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Not wanting to take away from this fantastic forum but if its Chilli information you want then have a little look on here... http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

It was getting into growing Chillis that has led me onto veg growing and thus finding this superb forum!!

xx
Chilli & Pepper Plants

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 19:13
by Dirt Diver
xx
What's wrong with my pepper / chilli plants?

Started by BacktoBasics on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 10:39
by fred-quimby
xx
overwintering chilli and pepper plants, any success?

Started by Ralphy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 16:44
by Ralphy
xx
Chilli Pepper

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 11:48
by garddwr bach

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 31 queries.