Do pot eggs really help?

• 17 Replies

Casey76

Do pot eggs really help?
« on: June 08, 2009, 15:25 »
Despite having two nesting boxes between two pullets, they have both layed in only one box.  Unfortunately they are now trying to lay at the same time, and poor Onion was quite distressed this morning, and she didn't stop "braaaak"ing for over half an hour.  however as soon as Sage had layed and was out of the box, Onion settled in and was as happy as larry again.

I was wondering if a pot egg in the other box would help encourage use of both boxes?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Do pot eggs really help?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 15:52 »
Mine share boxes, I have four between 7 hens (plus 2 others who are rearing at the moment so not laying) and they use just 2. Rather than using another they just pace up and down rosey away then as soon as the space is vacant rush in  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 17:53 »
mine have 6 nest boxes between 25 hens, they all que up to use the same one, pauline hogs it and stays in there ages, they're all but crossing their legs by the time she comes out.................
either that or they sneak in the banty house and lay in there.

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 20:22 »
mine all lay in the same box any hen that i ever had all layed in the same box. i have 5 boxs and 7 laying at this time.
if you have chickens you have rats

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 20:29 »

I was wondering if a pot egg in the other box would help encourage use of both boxes?

I have golf balls in my nest box. They kick them out. I don't think hens are as daft as we think!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 20:44 »
perhaps they have a couple of golf clubs in there as well  :D

FCG

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 22:55 »
I used golf balls when they were first nesting as they took it upon themselves to nest in the most awkward corner of the nest box. It worked.

Not much help I know but my brother got hold of some realistic 'rubber' eggs and popped one in their nest box. My mother brought it in thinking someone had laid twice, also thinking it was unusually heavy and even writing the date in pencil on it before twigging.

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 23:09 »
perhaps they have a couple of golf clubs in there as well  :D

ha ha, that made me laff!

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 23:15 »
I use the plastic eggs to show my girls but they all still argue over the same spot! I've now had to write on the plastic eggs "false" as my dippy husband (irish fella no 1) sold 3 of them when we first started selling the eggs.

The customer ( Irish fella No2) bought them back saying his Mrs couldn't break them against the frying pan - the shell was too hard.

That's what happens when 2 irish men get together...........

I couldn't beleive it.

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:15 »
Well this morning they had sorted themselves out and were both in the nest box at the same time!  :wacko:

funky chicken

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 13:11 »
This thread has made me laugh so much! First was the vision of hens in spotty headscarves,wings folded across their chest,hopping from foot to foot,gossiping away,'cluck-cluck,what IS she doing in there?Doesn't she know that some of us have work to do!'
Then the plastic eggs being sold and nearly fried.Thanks you goys for the chuckle  :lol: :lol:

chech221

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 14:07 »
i have 8 nest boxes for 14 hens and they all seem to lay where my rubber eggs is most days, so i jst rotate the rubber egg and they all lay in it apart from the odd one who lays somewhere else.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 14:13 »
an old guy I know tried to fry an 'egg' after coming home from the pub drunk.  it was in the fridge broken into a dish.  He said it kept spitting and he even had to put it back into the pan twice till he realised it was 1/2 a tinned apricot!  He's not irish but I did wonder!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 18:55 »
an old guy I know tried to fry an 'egg' after coming home from the pub drunk.  it was in the fridge broken into a dish.  He said it kept spitting and he even had to put it back into the pan twice till he realised it was 1/2 a tinned apricot!  He's not irish but I did wonder!

ha ha

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 19:40 »
I use the plastic eggs to show my girls but they all still argue over the same spot! I've now had to write on the plastic eggs "false" as my dippy husband (irish fella no 1) sold 3 of them when we first started selling the eggs.

The customer ( Irish fella No2) bought them back saying his Mrs couldn't break them against the frying pan - the shell was too hard.

That's what happens when 2 irish men get together...........

I couldn't beleive it.

From Irish fella no.3- please don't make racist remarks about ALL Irish men- we are not all like your hubby and his mate. joke or not i dont like it.
sorry every one for bringing this up. you just dont write things like that about people. sorry once again.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.