Creating raised beds... is it worth it?

• 55 Replies

Casey76

Creating raised beds... is it worth it?
« on: June 08, 2009, 13:26 »
I'm debating on whether or not to create a couple/few raised beds after I have cleared my veggie plot.

What are the advantages/disadvantages please?

Modified for spelling, changed from a French to a US keyboard and my fingers are dyslexic!

Beetroot queen

Re: Creating raised beds... is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 13:30 »
we have put beds in wouldnt call them raised as its only 8 inches on the side. but the great bit is the kids know where to walk and not too  :lol:

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 13:38 »
We are doing our entire plot using raised beds and I like them because:

- They make digging easier
- They help with slugs (the paths inbetween are covered in non-slug-friendly material
- Root vegs love them (the dug soil is deeper)
- Covering them with nets is easier

I managed to find a guy in liverpool who is selling them for £2 each (thats for an 8' board).  bargain - I ordered 80 and done the whole plot! - Looks great !
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 13:39 »
With raised beds you have a no dig system with very good drainage.  If the bed is no moer than 4ft wide you can easily reach the middle without having to step on it.  Also, you can plant much closer together and at equal distances all round.  I try to put plants that are small to medium growing in mine.

What you lose on the pathways you gain by the close planting.
Cheese makes everything better.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 13:40 »
£2 each I'll have a few although not 80 as our plot isnt big enough  :blush:

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 14:04 »
casey, will this raised bed be in your garden or in your allot. plot?

if the raised beds are for an allot. plot then I think it's only worth the trouble for two reasons, 1. you have a drainage problem 2. the soil level is shallow ( one spade depth is enough for most veg. crops).

even if u have a drainage problem there are other options which probably would be better.

someone said that it reduces the amount of slugs. if you have an open plot where it's all soil and u plant in rows, walking on planks inbetween then u won't get a lot od slugs as the slugs don't like moving on rough soil. I do think this is the best method of growing for most people.

beds and raised beds are a lot of effort, time and money. ofcourse it might be that there is no effort time or money spent on your part  :), maybe u can get some planks for nothing.

if the raised bed is for your garden then fine. one or two small beds won't be a huge effort and it would reduce slug damage if u have a lawn in the garden and other plants that they can retreat to.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 14:10 »
ice, does a no dig system really exist? most soil is clay and will compact with time, rain.
and there is the weeding, some digging involved, although if u plant through fabric no weeding.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 14:15 »
I have beds on my plot, not raised. the old guys on the plot have open plots, all soil, they plant in rows and walk on planks. I am convinced that this is the best option for most plots.
I will change my plot arrangment so that its an open plot, plant in rows.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 14:16 »
and no, I haven't lost the plot  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 14:24 »
I have what I recently read is referred to as "Lazy beds".  Raised, but nothing to formally retain the soil.  Soil from the paths is heaped onto the beds, with manure / compost / etc.

Beds are 4' wide, paths about 18"

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 15:47 »
ice, does a no dig system really exist? most soil is clay and will compact with time, rain.
and there is the weeding, some digging involved, although if u plant through fabric no weeding.
When the bed is empty I stick a fork in and loosen the soil a bit and I keep on top of weeds by hand weeding so they don't get very big. 

It's also a lot kinder to my poor old aching back to grow stuff this way.

My soil is very heavy clay and I am very pleased with the improved drainage my beds provide.  It's not for everyone, but if you want them for practical reasons or you just like the look of them then go for it.  Don't let anyone put you off.

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 16:42 »
Just to stop any more private emails being sent to me, this is the guy whos selling £2 boards on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scaffolding-Boards_W0QQitemZ110390670348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H_G_Ladders_RL?hash=item19b3cbf40c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

He charged me £90 for 40 boards (£2x40 plus £10 delivery to chester).

Hope the admins dont mind me posting this (I have nothing to do with this guy) but I thought it was worth sharing and relevent to the thred

Mark

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 16:48 »
Can't see a problem Mark.  As a fellow raised bed gardener you can do no wrong. :lol:

JWK

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 18:10 »
What a bargain Mark, just wish I was a bit nearer to be able to pick some up.
John

micky

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 18:15 »
Hi Casey. Yes definitely. I have used raised beds for the last 27yrs. They are 4ft wide and 18inches between them. They are never dug and manure/compost is spread on the top and worked in with a 3 pronged cultivator. There are 16 main beds which allow 4 per annual rotation and I believe I get a better return for the size of my plot compared to other members on site. Granted the work in setting them up is not inconsiderable but once finished they are easy to maintain. Normally I grow green manure crops where time/season permits and then the beds are covered for winter. They are uncovered as crops are planted/sown. I also plant in accordance with moon cycles so perhaps that indicates how much notice you should take of me.  :)

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised bed in partial shade? Worth it?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 19:40
by Trillium
xx
RAISED BEDS??

Started by NATHAN on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 15:06
by Trillium
xx
Veg for raised beds?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 22:32
by Trikidiki

Page created in 4.621 seconds with 38 queries.