More hens

• 1 Replies

Lexie

More hens
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:36 »
We had 4 hens for 7 months then one became ill and we had to despatch it.  We got a further 2 which we put in at night when roosting but for 3 weeks 2 of the originals made their life a misery.  We then swapped the 2 baddies with a friend for 2 other hens and it has started all over again.  They are bullying all 3 of my remaining chickens now.  I would like more hens but I need to have happy egg laying hens not bullied miserable ones.  We haven't had any eggs for weeks now.  I want to give the 2 swapped ones back and just have the 3 who get one but I would like more hens.  How do I get them to get on.  We only have a small back garden so I don't have anywhere to separate them to.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: More hens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42 »
two of mine were bullying my three new ones, so much so that one dissapeared for 24 hours, then the following morning one had a large bald and bleeding patch on her back. The two bullies are now in a seperate temporary cage until the beak rings that I have ordered from the Wild fowl trust come (thanks Grannie Annie and chicken lady for the details). They cost £1 for 8. With these on they cannot peck other birds but can still eat and drink. Perhaps you could try these as well, I know chicken lady has them on some of her birds and has no problems  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 37 queries.