Onions again

• 3 Replies

Beetroot queen

Onions again
« on: June 07, 2009, 19:44 »
We put onions in last year (late but cant recall which month) we got them from the garden shop so I stuck them in, they did nothing at all, all winter and we did look at taking them out as they looked rather sad and small.

Since feb they have grown huge but when should I be pulling them, I picked off the flower heads as they came up and the necks are thick (about the thickness of a big toe)

what do they look like when ready, pics would be great I am having a blonde moment  :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onions again
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 19:49 »
Just as well you didn't pull them as they won't do much over winter, but are ready for a sprint when the weather warms up.

Although they are not mature yet, I'm lifting mine as I need them, as they are big enough to use, rather than go to Tesc* to buy them.

When fully grown the foiliage will just flop over. The bulbs are then ready for storage preparation, but use those that have flowered first. Winter onions won't keep as long as spring planted sets.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 19:51 »
Start pulling them BQ. As they`ve gone to seed they need to be used as they wont keep.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 19:52 »
Will start using them now then, thanks  :D

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 36 queries.