Can't decide whether to join you?

• 30 Replies

Clara-Cluck

Re: Can't decide whether to join you?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 16:14 »
I intend to get 2-3 chickens and they will be let out daily into a penned off area of my garden which is about 6ft x 8ft does that sound ok?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 17:25 »
6 x 8 feet works out to 2.46m * 1.84m, which is 4.54sq m.
Try to fence off another 3ft each way to get a good sized run - you can let them out into the garden in the evenings and at weekends too.  (still use the run that's with the house - they'll want ALL of it!)

get 3 if you can, as if one dies, you'll still have 2....
(it happens...  :(  ...)

matilda duck

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 17:54 »
Hi we had that hen house when we first had the ducks!!!! :blink:  They were fine and as they grew bigger we gave them more room.

We now use it as a quarenteen pen!!  It's ok for housing as long as it is only 3 or4 hens and they have a outdoor run.

ENJOY the experience!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 18:00 »
I think most of us had that type at first  :D, mine has got my broody in at the moment but then will become my isolation coop.
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 18:33 »
thats what i will be buying next month but it will only be used as a quantine pen which will be placed into the corner of my large run at least then i will get back my smaller shed for the feed etc an finally i may get to make a medicine shelve  :lol: .

well done on taking the plunge but i recokn within 6 months you'll have more then 3 birds  :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 20:20 »
I intend to get 2-3 chickens and they will be let out daily into a penned off area of my garden which is about 6ft x 8ft does that sound ok?

Sounds good to me.

Don't listen to Looby we're not all chicken nuts  ;) you don't have to get more birds, I had 6 1st time far too many when they are all banging out an egg a day ! next time I had 3 and now I have 4 that seems about right for us, but then there's only 9 of us in the house.

Now have you thought about what breed yet ??
Like I posted earlier I'd have warrens nice bird not too large and pretty docile around kids and family. Lay well and don't go broody either.

I'll look forward to seeing some pics of you hens in there new home  :)

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

karlooben

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 20:24 »
admit it rich you are chicken  nuts  :lol: :lol: same as all of us .
i could say more but i shall not  :tongue2:

Clara-Cluck

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 20:29 »
Ah thanks Richy rich for your encouragement thats made me feel much better.  The only place I know of to get chickens from is the farm shop up the road where they are £15 each.  Do you know where I should look for a specific breed because I like the idea of getting a breed that is good for the kids. 
Also, can I ask what happens if i go away on hols?  I have a very nice friend who would be willing to pop in and help out.
I would like to think that I would get nutty about chickens one day...it seems like a really fun hobby for all of us!  Very excited!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 20:37 »
admit it rich you are chicken  nuts  :lol: :lol: same as all of us .
i could say more but i shall not  :tongue2:

:tongue2:  nope I'm not  ;) :lol:  I like my hens, but to be brutally honest they are livestock to me and will end in the pot  :blink:

Clara your quite near Grannieannie, lots of peeps on here have her hens and have given plenty of good feedback, I know Grannie would never set you wrong I'd try her 1st to be honest, there a good bloke near me but I'm not sure if you'd want to travel to Leicester or if he's got any at the minute they would be Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex. That's what I have now.
Here's Grannies blog site http://grannieannie.allotment-garden.org/ she's online at the minute perhaps she'll pop by.  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 21:18 »
You talking bout me?????   :D :D

Actually, our girlies are 12 weeks old tomorrow, so not quite POL yet, and they are all reserved, except the ones we were keeping for us, but hubby said as Richy gave us such a glowing report, and we did also take on 6 chooks from Clovissa last week, we could spare some if you wanted Clara???

We have had several customers from Peterborough area!  If you are interested, please PM me for details.  We've got the white amberlinks and the brown Goldlines at the moment.

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 21:25 »
My 4 are about 14 weeks so getting close.  They have RUINED my garden  but who cares.  Their antics more than make up for it.  One is ever so friendly and wanders back and forth waiting to be picked up and petted.  They all chase after me when i walk round the garden cause they know its me that carries the food scraps up to their coop.  Gosh can they move when they want to.

Over the weekend all 4 of them got inside the kids trampoline with side nets (on their own steam, no coercion) and ran round and round in a flock.  I sort of went over to them and held the door open  but they ignored me and ran round some more.  I think they were just enjoying it.

Had to clean poop out of there after  but it was pretty funny to see.

No eggs yet but we adore them. Worth every peanut they cost.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13 »
Over the weekend all 4 of them got inside the kids trampoline with side nets (on their own steam, no coercion) and ran round and round in a flock.  I sort of went over to them and held the door open  but they ignored me and ran round some more.  I think they were just enjoying it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 12:14 »
Not much to add to what has already been said but our kids are 11 months, 2 and 3. Our chooks free range most of the time so currently teh crawler is not allowed on the lawn - the older two have either wellies or crocs for the garden and then take them off when they come in. You do need to adapt a bit but the kids love the chickens and the chickens don't actually seem to hate the kids despite the occasional chasing (which is being reduced now!) I'd say got for it - despite the risks to your lawn and mental health (see above), they are great fun!

bubs

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 13:26 »
Ah thanks Richy rich for your encouragement thats made me feel much better.  The only place I know of to get chickens from is the farm shop up the road where they are £15 each.  Do you know where I should look for a specific breed because I like the idea of getting a breed that is good for the kids. 
Also, can I ask what happens if i go away on hols?  I have a very nice friend who would be willing to pop in and help out.
I would like to think that I would get nutty about chickens one day...it seems like a really fun hobby for all of us!  Very excited!!

hello clara go for a hybid breed {crossbred} they will produce more eggs and are the most docile and are also the cheapest to buy . at the moment i have got 8 amberlees or amberlinks {champagne coloured with brown specks} and 4 warrens {brown} , the amberlees are really tame and nosey and are ideal for children the warrens produce bigger eggs though.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 13:52 »
Little bit of deja vu here... it's not just me then!  :D

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.