Silly Q...

• 3 Replies

iwantanallotment

Silly Q...
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:19 »
...but need to ask it!

How can volunteer potatoes spring up where no potatoes have ever been grown before?

I have some in my onion & garlic beds, where potatoes grew last year. That's understandable; but also there are some among my runners, where potatoes have never been grown? Flowering, too!

I've put no vegetable peelings down or homemade compost, only horse manure/chicken pellets/blood, fish & bone.
There was a bag of potatoes growing 10ft away last year which developed pods - could that be it?
BUT - if these pods are hives of seed, how long for these seeds to develop to maturity and reveal a productive plant? A simple bluebell takes 5 years from seed to form a bulb!

I've been racking my brain to no avail, and would really appreciate any thoughts  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Silly Q...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 23:03 »
How long have you had your allotment?  Volunteer spuds can appear a surprisingly long time after the original crop...

I don't know, but I'd be surprised if the seed pods were producing spuds within a season?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SG6

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27 »
Any chance that when digging the ground over a forkfull of soil from an area that had potatoes in it was thrown on to the area that didn't have?

If so then a small residual potato could have been transported and is now growing. :( :(

The other thing is that when harvesting some people dig up a potato plant, dig out the large potatoes then shake off he soil then harvest any potatoes still on the plants root structure. If anyone has done this then a small potato could have been shaken off and fallen else where. :( :(

Last year my old potato plants were the added to the compost. If you did/do the same do you have to carry the old plants over any ground. If so a small potato could have fallen. >:( >:(

There's 3 options. Makes you wonder there aren't potatoes everywhere. :D :D :D

savbo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 14:44 »
and even a spud eye from the kitchen compost can keep growing if conditions are right...

xx
very silly me...silly silly silly

Started by lefrog on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 22:02
by Tinbasher
xx
Are we silly?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 08:03
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Silly Mistake

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 16:59
by sunshineband
xx
Another silly question.

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 11:05
by jo.power

Page created in 0.894 seconds with 36 queries.