New to chickens

• 41 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New to chickens
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38 »
The roosting bar that was in mine was nowhere the correct size.
Agree with roughlee that on your allotment your coop will need to be more secure, I, so far only have a problem with rats and no sign of foxes (touch wood).
Personally I would hold off getting hens until you have got a very secure run built and a bigger coop (think along the lines of fort knox  :D) or just have 2 hens but have the coop pegged open (I used a tent peg as mine kept swinging closed) so that they have access to a large run during the day. Have a look on your local freecycle sites - you may get a shed for free and keep this small one for an isolation coop. Make sure you treat whatever you use for mite before using it.
I know this isn't what you were hoping to read but it will be worth the wait in the long run. I made the mistake of buying one of these in my eagerness to get hens - soon went out and bought a second hand sheds. Learn from my mistake and probably lots of others on here.
sorry again for not being positive  :( joy  xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55 »
B*ggeration.

Just given a shed away to someone on here too...  >:( ::)

Ah well, an expensive mistake - I'll try, but I very much doubt that I will be able to cancel now that they've take the cash...

If not, I will start with two, secure the run as it is and start building the big run asap. After that, I'm going to have to think again about accommodation...

I'm kicking myself here.  >:(

joyfull

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31 »
Don't kick yourself too hard, like I said a lot of us have made the same mistake  :blush:
1 of my hens is using mine like this to sit on eggs at the moment but after that it is going to be my "hospital ward" - which hopefully will not get used.
As soon as you get your two we want photos of course, oh and welcome to the world of chicken keeping :D.
As a newbie to growing veggies - buying stuff now (advised by peeps on the grow your own pages, to go in some raised beds that I have been given. So no doubt will make lots of mistakes myself in that department  :lol:

scabs

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 11:38 »
It's not all as carefree as The Good Life had us believe is it?!!!  :D

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I know I'll be asking for more!

scabs

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 08:55 »
Ok the coop has been delivered and we have decided to erect it in the back garden, where we can at least get a couple of birds and let them roam a bit until I have built something more substantial (and secure) on the plot.

Then, as has been suggested, I can use this one as a hospital coop...

I have been offered Wheaton Marans and told that they are good layers. I also read that they are not keen on being handled, is that a fair assessment?

Thanks again for the help, I just wished I'd run it by the forum sooner.

joyfull

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06 »
They average 170 -180 per year - which is less than hybrids bread for laying - but they will lay for a longer period of time. I have a cuckoo maran that doesn't like to be handled but other peoples do, so each bird is different. Also have some french blue copper marans hatching today so don't know how they will be for handling   :D. Best get that run done soon as you will find hens are very very addictive - I started out with just 2 last August by October had another 3 then November another 2 and so on  :D

scabs

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 09:17 »
Oh blimey...  ::) :D

From a purely laying point of view, what breeds are most productive?

I'm not sure he does hybrids...

nzdunn

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:18 »
I have two cuckoo marans, have had them just over a week now and at first they were very flighty but have spent everyday with them offering them treats and now they are starting to walk straight up to me, they seem to be turning into confident birds now, i reckon if you put in the time with them theres no reason why they wouldnt become tame and then you can work on the handling, id say its all about trust.  nickyx

scabs

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:19 »
It would be nice if the children could get them to feed from the hand, I must admit.

joyfull

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 10:06 »
Oh blimey...  ::) :D

From a purely laying point of view, what breeds are most productive?

I'm not sure he does hybrids...
Grannie Annie on here does amberlinks and the ones I've had off her lay every single day without fail, but they will do this for a shorter period of time Her pols are also very cheap,
but as you are in manchester perhaps someone else may be able to help you out.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10 »
Scabs
As Joyful said they may not produce many eggs a year but they will produce more eggs for more years.  A hybrid will lay eggs for 2 years 3 max and then thats there productive life over!!!  A chicken can live till its 9 years +

A pure breed chicken will lay for longer.

Start feeding a few meal worms to you chucks and soon you will have them eating out of your hand.
Only a few mind you. Fat chickens do not lay.

TOP TIP FOR THE DAY.
Chicken Training
When you are giving your chucks treats use a "key word" and keep the tone of your voice and how you say it the same each time,
I use "CHUCK CHUCK",....."CHUCK CHUCK",............"CHUCK CHUCK"
I then give treats.  It is very useful if you need to get them back in the run, need to get them in the coop......

Mine come running every time I call out "CHUCK CHUCK",....."CHUCK CHUCK",..."CHUCK CHUCK"
It is very useful. 
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

joyfull

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28 »
I say tuckle tuckle tuck tuck - don't know why  :wacko: but it works you should see them come racing, trouble is they also tend to try and trip me up as they get tangled round my legs  :D Fell over a few times !!!

scabs

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 10:44 »
 :D

Thanks for the advice, I shall start practising my chuck chuck and tuckle tucks and see what I'm more comfortable with!

I thought you'd get a longer laying out of hybrids to be honest, how long might i expect from a pure breed? I liked the looks of the birds he showed me, he has others though that he says are not far behind as layers, he says, so I'll ask to see them first.

My books are rather confusing regarding feed, one suggests mash and the other pellets as the base diet, though both say 'mix it up'... am I right to think I should offer a good mix of both and corn and just see what they prefer? Also, how often would you offer 'treats', scraps etc?

joyfull

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 10:48 »
I feed pellets ad lib, with a handfull of mixed corn about an hour before bedtime, Other treats they have mid afternoon if I have any. In winter when it's frosty or snowy they get warm porrige, readybrek or muesli made with water when I let them out. Don't give them too many treats as they will get fat and fat hens don't lay.

scabs

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 11:09 »
See, none of the books mentioned readybrek!

That's really helpful, thank you.  :)

I just want to make sure I have everything bought in readiness!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
how many chickens

Started by lippett76 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 14:17
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 37 queries.