Making use of ground after my earlies come up....

• 11 Replies

DaftMule

Making use of ground after my earlies come up....
« on: June 03, 2009, 15:16 »
Hi all,

So, my 2 year old daughter and I headed down to the allotment last night to see if the earlies were ready to dig.  Much excitement as a quick furkle revealed a nice spud the size of a chicken's egg.  So, in went the fork and 2 plants later we had a couple of meals worth of nice earlies to take home.  Topped them off with some radishes which were just coming ready too.  :D

I'm going to end up with a bit of spare ground as the earlies come out over the next few weeks.  Trouble is, said ground is quite heavy clay and is fairly dried out into hefty clods (new allotment ground dug last autumn for the first time in 20+ years!!).   Hardly a fine tilth anyway! 

Is there anything I can follow the spuds with now or am I best to leave the ground to rest and let the winter do the work on the clods?

I was thinking maybe a bit of green manure or something.  But what are the possible veg options (if any)?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Making use of ground after my earlies come up....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 15:30 »
Hi & welcome to the forums.

There's quite a lot you can put in, salad crops, leeks if you can get the plants. A bit later the spring cabbage & caulis can go in.

You can always try a few peas, but you do run the mildew risk.

These are just for starters!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 15:47 »
I would say if your are planning crop rotation then you may as well stick with roots where the potatoes have been for now – so carrots, parsnips, turnips, beetroot or swede are the easy options (and the radish are brassicas although less important to worry about rotation there). That said, heavy clods of clay aren’t going to be that inviting for carrots and parsnip - at least if you want straight ones!

(Updated with text based on later comments - I am now off to work at the ministry of misinformation! June 04)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:33 by Trebor »

DaftMule

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 16:02 »
I would say if your are planning crop rotation then you may as well stick with roots where the potatoes have been for now – so carrots, parsnips, turnips or swede are the easy options (and the radish are brassicas although less important to worry about rotation there). That said, heavy clods of clay aren’t going to be that inviting for carrots and parsnip - at least if you want straight ones!

Turnips might be a goer...pretty sure I have a packet of seed somewhere  ::)  Added advantage that they are clampable if I end up with a bumper crop...lol  :D

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 16:34 »
"said ground is quite heavy clay and is fairly dried out into hefty clods"

Rotavate it once spuds removed? Is there a Mantis Tiller, or some such that you could borrow?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 16:53 »
If you are worried about rotation then don't forget Turnips and Swedes are also Brassicas.

Bob

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 19:41 »
Start some french climbing beans off now (in pots), dig in some compost where the spuds have been excavated, and do a quick frame along the row.  If you anticipate now how many spuds you will have dug up by say, end of June, you can anticipate how many french beans to sow (2 per stick).

Yes I know you will be totally beaned out, but they are good for freezing - not entirely the same taste - but a very welcome veg in the dark winter months.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 20:04 by Jodie A »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 20:02 »
If you are quick you can still sow squash/pumpkin to plant in the space left by spuds. :)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:18 »
If you are worried about rotation then don't forget Turnips and Swedes are also Brassicas.

Bob

Burger – going to have to kill my turnips and swede now as in the wrong bed! I knew about the radishes, but never even gave turnip and swede a second thought!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:10 by Trebor »

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:32 »
I wouldn't worry about it  ;)

Bob

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:33 »
One year won't hurt, just don't make a habit of it!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:53 »
mine are being lifted now and being replaced with lettuce, beetroot for the winter and yet another row of leeks (welsh neighbour next door), no doubt radish will also follow.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Wasps making a nest in the ground

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 15, 2022, 16:11
by Anton
clip
First earlies...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 17:10
by Growster...
xx
after earlies

Started by bright lights on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 08:46
by GreenOwl
xx
First earlies

Started by Handy Andi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 20:33
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 38 queries.