Courgette germination

• 42 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Courgette germination
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00 »
FWIW I sowed mine in a bottom-heat propagator on 1st April and they were up in 4 days.

"up" being the operative word!

Photo on the 8th April :(

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 09:16 »
I've had poor germination for three types of squash (the courgette were the best of the three, actually) and chillies, this year.  It's my first year growing squash but I haven't had a problem with chillies before.  I'd wondered whether it's the variable weather we've had - I start the seeds in pots on the windowsill, not having a heated propagator, and while it's been pretty hot lately the previous sunny spell would have been hot during the day and cool at night, followed by another cold and cloudy period.  Even recently the nights have been pleasantly cool, which is good for me but presumably not so good for seeds which are happier in a constant temperature.  My second theory is that last year was a bad year for squashes, so maybe seed suppliers haven't got such good seed this year, but that's entirely speculation and for all I know it may not work like that at all.

Anyone else with a theory?  It does seem that there are a lot of people with squashes/courgettes that don't want to come up.

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19 »
Whoops.....forgot to check them?  :lol:

Would you recommend the heated propagator then?  :unsure:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51 »
i sowed some courgettes 1 month ago ,they all came up but on looking at my racking in the greenhouse i realised id sown some prior to that and everyone grew{48} butternut squash and pumpkin on the other hand have been a disaster .

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 09:53 »
I sowed 6 squash. Didn't come up.

Sowed 6 more didn't come up.

Sowed further 6.

Now I've got 16.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 09:54 »
Whoops.....forgot to check them?  :lol:

Would you recommend the heated propagator then?  :unsure:

Only if you check the trays :)

Some details in My Blog: http://kgarden.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/electric-propagator/

Lardman

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 10:40 »
I sowed 6 squash. Didn't come up.

... Were they in Cat Litter Trays  :D  :D  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

I checked the older seeds for sign of germination & decease / mould before I bin them.  I have no problems binning seed but I find it really hard to put a plant in the compost bin.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48 »
Actually - not this time!

Highfield

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 13:47 »
My other one is up today so 3 out of 3 for courgettes.  ::)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 14:08 »
6 green and 6 yellow sowed, two green have popped up but not growing that strongly, I suspect dodgy seeds, no other reason. Compost is fine (levingtons), pots were Jeyed so nice and clean and using fresh water. However one bonus from this, I wont get sick of eating the pesky thing's this year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 14:20 »
Do you sow these big flat seeds vertically?

On edge with the sharp bit down, same as I always have. Not sure what it is this year. Might also try some sown direct just incase its something to do with the compost...

The roots form first on the flat base of the seed and the leaves later on the pointed end. The point also makes it easier for the seeds to push through the soil. In short plant them point side up and you should have more success.

I planted 14 types of squash and 2 types of courgette all but one type came up with this orientation for planting. I start them off in a propagator in the airing cupboard to give them high and consistent temperature then move them to a windowsill when they breakthrough.

shay

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 14:32 »
Been lucky with regards my germination, had 14 out of 14 so let them grow, hardened them off and they suffered, went out oo early, so have done another 10 staggered all are up but the original lot which I left in, more in hope than anything are now starting to grow, so I may be having Courgettes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I had probs with fothergill sweetcorn last year, the missus sent a letter about non germination and sent another packet and if we had any of the original seeds left to send them back incase there was a batch problem. I know it doesn't help put food on the table or make the allotment more fuller but at least will be stacked with seeds for next year or maybe even get some late ones in this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 14:37 »
A few weeks ago i sowed 3 sunshine baby pumpkins in the propagator and 3 came up, and were doing very nicely and my nice neighbour saw them and asked if i had a spare......fine off it went. Sowed another 2, luckily, cos only 1 came up....the other seed has rotted away...yuk. 4 out of 5..OKThis is fine when there are plenty in the seed packet, but if not it is very annoying >:(

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 17:26 »
Do you sow these big flat seeds vertically?

On edge with the sharp bit down, same as I always have. Not sure what it is this year. Might also try some sown direct just incase its something to do with the compost...

i do mine just on their sides (like they're trying to slice the ground in two)
i can't think how to describe it!
 ___
(___)

like that.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 17:28 »
just been consulting dr hessayon, and he says to soak the seeds overnight before sowing.

xx
Courgette germination

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 21, 2021, 21:44
by wilj1
xx
Courgette/cucumber germination

Started by Lottie Digger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 19:15
by Yorkie
xx
Poor courgette germination

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:03
by Madame Cholet
xx
Germination

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 10:40
by JayG

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 39 queries.