Letter from the council

• 52 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Letter from the council
« on: June 01, 2009, 22:25 »
Well, it has finally happened after 9 years.  A letter from the council about the noise of my cock.  I never let out befor 7am and many of my neighbours did not even know that at times I had 2 cocks let alone one at all!  So now I have to ring them tomorrow to see what I have to do.  It is not an official complaint yet.  Don't know exactly what that means, either someone has complained or not????  But anyway have to comply with the red tape then will probably has to kill him as no one wants cock birds.  Hard enough any other time but at the moment when everyone and his dog are hatching chicks and most being males it will take a mirical to rehome him.  Feeling very sad today but will be going through the motions till I am forsed to get rid.  Lots of people have sold houses recently so may be a new people moaning.  Wouldn't mind but the trampolines with screaming kids goes on till way past 10.30pm each night, not to mention BBQ parties, music and general summer noise, but I am supposed to tollerate this.  Life not fare sometimes.  Just to mention that 2 others to my knowledge have cock birds in the area but it seams only mine is to blame for all the noise. :mad: :(
mrs.ploppy

too many girls

Re: Letter from the council
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 22:33 »
aw sorry to hear that, maybe you should tape the screaming kid's and bbq noise and then play it full blast all day to drown out the cockerel noise.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 22:43 »
The letter refurred to early morning crowing and to keep it in a house that is low enough to stophim lifting head and crowing.  That would mean shutting in a hutch that would be about 12-14" high, maybe lower.  How crewl is that!  I would have RSPCA after me if I did that.

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:26 »
I am really sorry to hear about this. People will put up with obnoxious loud city noise but the lovely rural sound of poultry starts folk off.  :mad: :mad:

I do worry about mine but I'd fight it all the way. The neighbours over the way deliberatly revving their b****y motorbikes at all times in the day causes more noise than what ever my cockerel makes!

Can you not dispute it saying you've had no problems for the past 9 years - such a shame.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03 »
Thank heavens I don't have any neighbours  :D they are one of the reasons we moved from Nottingham to Lincolnshire.
I would try to contest it as well - 9 years no complaints.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:15 »
Fight it tooth and nail. But please remember to be nice, and polite. Even if the ones that complain get in your face or lose their temper, smile, and be polite.

Take pictures or videos to show what is going on in the neighborhood at the time the complaint is for and show any hedges or walls that are natural sound barriers around your place and your coop and run and whether it is close to the neighbors or far away.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 06:14 »
my god after 9 yrs is it worth any of the hassle. my girls started singing as i call it at 5,30 am the other morning and so far it seems i am the only one who heard them but i did have my window open i am waiting for complaints about that .

but talking of noisy neighbours one of mine had a party in the garden until 3 am over the weekend an the woman screaming an laughing well it was unbearable .
i have heard of shutting them in a small box or something to stop them from getting thier heads high so then they cant crow but thats just cruel .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:35 »

but talking of noisy neighbours one of mine had a party in the garden until 3 am over the weekend an the woman screaming an laughing well it was unbearable .
i have heard of shutting them in a small box or something to stop them from getting thier heads high so then they cant crow but thats just cruel .
[/quote]

I take it you mean the box for the cockerel and not the neighbour looby - although the later would definately be more preferable  :lol: :lol:

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:00 »
Do you have a councillor with an allotmnt near you?

If so would he be pro or against or possibly the complainer?  Might be worth lobbying and investigating all he councillors as to whether they have fowl and getting a supporter.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:31 »
I know what you mean, when we were introducing the new ones it was a bit noisy. The woman across the road commented on it and it got my back up coz her b****y grandchildren are running up and down outside my house screaming till all hours but that should be tolerated coz " it's normal" >:( >:( >:(

Fat Hen

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:41 »
I know what you mean, when we were introducing the new ones it was a bit noisy. The woman across the road commented on it and it got my back up coz her b****y grandchildren are running up and down outside my house screaming till all hours but that should be tolerated coz " it's normal" >:( >:( >:(

Thats modern society for you - murder anything natural - surround yourself with artificial/industrial strenghth air freshners & stuff and become a Chav.

I had to rehome my cockerel after complaints from neighbours - still have to put up with their teenage boys talking like numpty yank gangsters f'ing n blinding it all the time, bragging about their sexual conquests & what old fogey they've beaten up lately all at the top of their voice.

Luckily I managed to find a good home for him.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56 »
I have been very lucky, I lived in a small village when I first started keeping chickens and the neighbours loved the sound of the cockerels.
Where I live now there is no neighbours to disturb.
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:07 »
When our nextd oors moved in just over a year ago, they mentioned the chickens (Do they smell?)  and Brian said well this is a registered smallholding and the chickens have been here for over 5 years (7 now!)  that shut them up.

I know its not like yuor situation though Mrs P.  I'm sorry to hear that someone has complained.  We've got 9 cockerals here at the moment!  Luckily only 4 of them crow!!!   

Caralou

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12 »
I hope that when Blackie (if he is a boy... I'm still not sure - in fact Pudd could also be a boy, but only time will tell) starts to crow there will be no complaints. All immediate neighbours have commented they enjoy the sound of the girls (who start at 5 am at the moment) and the cock over the road doesn't bother anyone and he goes from first light all day long :) I have let them know that I may have a boy staying and they are all fine and have promised that if they have a problem they will come to me first instead of raising any complaints. I just hope they remember that!

I hope you can sort it without having to give him away or the "other" option, I'd fight it all the way. It is more annoying that people don't just come and have a word with you if it's bothering them and that way you would know the exact problem and be better able to sort it out grrr.

elibump

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:33 »
Our cockrel used to crow to the Mayor's cockrel a few gardens away then the cockrel from the farm joined in as well as a few others in the village. We're lucky here, having a cockrel is normal, if anyone complained to the mayor he'd just shrug and make a sort-of raspberry blowing noise at them and say "Mais, c'est normal" (But that's normal). :happy:

:(Sorry you're having probs Mrs P, but like everyone says, make sure that the council know that there's never been a problem before with your birds.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

xx
Letter from Hugh!

Started by Ruth Cross on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 16:21
by Trillium
xx
Begging Letter

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 10:35
by millymolymandy
xx
The council

Started by lynnie on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 00:26
by hillfooter
xx
Council by-laws

Started by PJM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:10
by babe

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.