base for hen house

• 11 Replies

karlooben

base for hen house
« on: June 01, 2009, 20:37 »
i am thinking of moving my small shed to another corner of my run where 1=  i can build a  better secure fence around it as a quanutine pen , 2= the shed will have more shade but the shed doesnt have a base to it so i was wandering if i could use a sheet of strong pvc tpye sheet  i dont know if it came out of a shower cubicle or not but its similar to that would that be a good base or not .

at the mo its based on pallets and under the pallets is the bait box its all blocked in now as my babies are in this smaller shed an run until i feel they are big enough to go with the big girls , i'm just worried my babies are not getting enough shade although they seemed to have coped so far.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: base for hen house
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:07 »
As long as it is not too slick it should work. If the surface is really slick it could cause splayed legs in youngsters. Another thing is holding moisture and possibly rotting the base of the shed or making the chicks have resp. problems.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:09 »
thanks nn , its not completely smooth sheet its got a rough pattern on it and also it will have deep bedding on .
i've totally run out of wood and i didnt want to be using pallets again unless i really have to .

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35 »
Think as long as its temporary its a good idea, with the summer coming would be better to offer more shade and room, agree with nnbreeder, as long as the bedding is deep. Another tip is to pop their drinkers in the shade too. :)

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 20:14 »
it would only be temparory as i am looking at moving the shed anyway i just got to find the man power an thats not easy .

all the feed an drink are in the shade and i am surprise that although they only have little patches of shade the babies are coping very well ,in the run with them is 2 cut down sycamore trees an they are about 1 1/2 high or so an all 4 of the light sussex were up there the other day using it like it was a diving board my god can they fly at 6 weks old or what  :lol: :lol: i so wish i could get it on video .

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 20:20 »
I am finding that too, that the babies dont seem to get as hot as the adults. :)

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 20:25 »
one of the babies was panting pretty badly on her first day out side but sarah put my mind at rest  :tongue2: thankfully .

p.s while i am here can i ask what age could they go in with the big girls at mo they are 6 weeks an to me they seem to tiny to go in with them , figured i could add this then to make yet another post .

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 21:47 »
when they are roughly the same size, if they can see each other through the mesh that will make it easier in the long run, you could do little "meet and greet" sessions, let out together preferably early evening for 20mins then pop them back in, gradually they will get used to each other.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:46 »
One year I found a bunch of old pallets to stack our hay on. Usually the bottom bales in a stack are only good for mulch as they absorb moisture from the ground. The pallets were going to solve this.

They did, not a single bale had rot on it. Instead mice and rats used the space under the stack to stay warm and brood many offspring plus they had tunnels all through the bottom bales. making them worthless till they were composted.

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:11 »
the fence i made is of pallet tops that have gaps in an my god was it a rush to staple mesh over them as the babies got though the holes  :lol: i didnt think they would fit  :happy:.
so they can see each other 24 /7 .

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:45 »
They can squeeze through the smallest gap can't they  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 20:06 »
blimey can they  :ohmy: the slightest gap scares me that they will get out of it , tonight i changed the fencing as i was getting very annoyed with bending down so low to get under the top wire ,. but i had a better idea earlier why dont i just buy one of those hen houses with attached run , its only going to be needed for quantine at the end of the day an its got a secure door etc i found one on line thats only £139 compared to £250 at my local bird centres .
that will have to wait tell july though but it will  be worth the wait then i can get my little shed back as  afeed shed and get rid of all the dustbins thats in there :lol: :lol:

xx
Best base for run?

Started by Gobsheen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:46
by viettaclark
xx
Run base

Started by Yorkie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
Slabs for base of run

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 10:22
by Craig69
xx
What is the best base for a chicken run?

Started by sharon1964 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 06:42
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 28 queries.