• 27 Replies

Flowerpower136

Re: Hot weather??
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 15:24 »
Could someone else be taking the eggs?

Poaching is alive and well I'm afraid.

If not human, what about squirrels? 

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not think squirrels have the facilities to poach eggs, or even the knowledge. Lets face it unless they have a pound how can they get to the pound shop to purchase one of those poaching pans they couldn't.

I bet they could scramble though. :tongue2:

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 21:03 »
they will drop in number then pick up. drop in number pick up  it will be like that though out the year . i have the same thing from my girls an yes its very very worrying  :(.

i got 13 out of 16 girls today i was pleased with that but am dying to hit the full :D house
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Highfield

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 14:06 »
Well the day after the zero we had 7 and one broken, today just the one when I went to open up this morning.

And that was after two handfuls of caterpillars off my land cress yesterday .... ungrateful girlies!!

*sigh* but they are still lovely :D

Highfield

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56 »
Mystery solved - I think - though solution is a bit of a poser!

When mowing the big section next to the chicken paddock I kept finding egg shells .. Then Saturday I found just the white of an egg -no yolk and no shell - in a nest box and a walk round outside the run discovered several more egg shells broken.  Just one egg on those days and those when I opened up at just before 7.

Undaunted - and bravely without the benefit of morning coffee -  I kept watch and a large crow has cheekily learned to go into the chicken coop and steal the eggs!!!
He is always sitting around when I go up with the mash porridge at about 11 but I thought he was after that and would shoo him off the run.

This morning saw me coffee in hand and sitting the run while the girlies had breakfast and went in and out the coop with the result of 7 eggs and a very disgruntled crow who even came down when I was sitting there!

So mystery of the wildly fluctuating egg numbers is solved I think but I really can't always sit there for 2 hours while they decide to lay!  I can't see how to keep the crow out and let the chickens in as the smaller run is over 100 ft long by 20+ foot and I cant afford to enclose that lot.  The thought that springs to mind is a shotgun as it can't be common crow behaviour- anyone else had this problem??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hot weather?? Problem solved I think!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 12:18 »
crows and magpies will steal eggs if they can get away with it. For my veggie raised beds I have just bought off ebay a roll of debris netting, would this not be suitable to cover the top of your run - mine cost £29.45 for a length of 50 mtrs by 2 mtrs including delivery  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37 »
You could see if you know anyone that has a larsons trap. For crows you will need a side entering.  Unfortunately it has learnt that eggs are good and where to get them so there is only one other definite answer. Catch and kill.
There is a temporary answer that may put him off.  It can work with magpies but not necessary with crow. (magpies are more nervous) . Try hanging a stock carrot bag over the entrance of the coop.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Highfield

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52 »
 Great stuff that debris netting - I just built a "cage" for my brassicas with it - got it off Freecycle to my amazement!   The fences at the edges are only about 3 feet though as it is bordered by the big paddock they go out into in the afternoon (as well as their own run) so would have to fence the whole thing to get it walk in height AND put a roof on ...  just not viable at the moment I'm afraid ....  

Will try the carrot bag though and ask around for a larsen trap (or get OH to build one) !!! 

Thanks muchly everyone  ...

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 13:09 »
if you are going to make one try this.
http://www.ew.govt.nz/Environmental-information/Plant-and-animal-pests/Animal-pests/Magpies/Construction-of-a-magpie-trap/#Heading1

I have been told that magpies like top entry and crow side entry. So you will have to change the plans slightly.

karlooben

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 20:43 »
check under the housing ,lmao u know i was saying that mine were slowly down well they were not someone i knoe found 36 under the house  :lol:... now i am checking everywhere when i collect eggs an the bottom of the shed is now blocked of although god knows how they did get under there its only 4 or 5 inches of the ground

Rubellite

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 21:43 »
I've also been having trouble with crows going through the pophole. Don't have trouble with the magpies as next door has his trap operative at the moment.

Does the carrot bag work, Rough?

I was intending to try a fly screen, one of those plastic strip ones. I have bought one but not cut it down to size yet.  ::)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 22:34 »
Er the carrot bag did work. But for some reason I had to get rid. Think I wanted to be sure. As I think (thought) that they would learn, as they do.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 23:12 »
Good luck with getting rid of your crow, however you decide to do it. We have a rook who hangs around after the girls and I'm sure he would try to take eggs: but fortunately when he made his way into the run (which is fully enclosed) he was severely upset by not being able to fly out, plus Jean got at him when he was on the ground and pecked him almost to death  :ohmy: ;). Don't think he'll be trying that again  :nowink:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Rubellite

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17 »
Good luck with getting rid of your crow, however you decide to do it. We have a rook who hangs around after the girls and I'm sure he would try to take eggs: but fortunately when he made his way into the run (which is fully enclosed) he was severely upset by not being able to fly out, plus Jean got at him when he was on the ground and pecked him almost to death  :ohmy: ;). Don't think he'll be trying that again  :nowink:

They can be quite vicious can't they. When Wildone's three got hold of a collar dove that I'd shoo-ed out of the run there were feathers flying everywhere. In the end I could watch no more and rescued it! Threw it out of the pen and it flew away, clipped the electric fencing on the other run and landed a couple of hundred feet away, only to be chased off by the dog.
Obviously wasn't having a good day  :lol:

xx
Problem of Buff Orpingtons not roosting solved (photo)

Started by gracie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 21:05
by Lindeggs
xx
Soft shell question, problem solved (I hope)

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
hen with leg problem

Started by T C on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 09:45
by bantam novice
xx
Egg problem

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 16:07
by muntjac

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.