Ive only had them since friday

• 5 Replies

nzdunn

Ive only had them since friday
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:20 »
i thought i would post this to get some advice please.   Ive been reading about chucks getting colds and a few have pointed out it can be sometimes brought on by stress of moving to a new home.   I think that is wot has happened to my girls or am i being paranoid as i know nothing about chuck behaviour.   They were both doing the odd sneeze yesterdays sounded dry though if you know wot i mean, then this morning when i went to let them out both of them were blowing a clear smallish bubble out of their nostrils.   There both very perky, eating drinking checked all poos under there perch this morning and all seems well.   Any advice on wot i should do or should i just keep an eye on them for now.   Sorry forgot to say carnt hear any change in breathing no rattles etc.    Nicky

Roughlee Handled

Re: Ive only had them since friday
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:01 »
How old are they.
What Breed?
Where did you get them from?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:47 »
They are both coming up to 18wks and there cuckoo marans,  i got them off a lovely guy who breeds all different breeds.   nicky

bubs

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:22 »
i started with 8 pol amberleighs about 11months ago and was getting 7 eggs a day ,then i added 4 warrens and 4 black leghorns and disaster struck . the chickens were fighting and the leghorns brought diarhea and colds that every chicken caught and i hardly got any eggs for 5 months .
i got rid of the leghorns because they were lunatics and wasted loads trying to cure the colds  :( , in the end everything came right although i still think one of the 12 chickens does not lay because 11 eggs in a day is the most we have ever had , you still get the odd cough or runny nose but their all fit and healthy , if you keep them clean and give them  draught free roosting at nights all will come good for you .
i have learned one valuable thing if your chickens are really unwell its far cheaper to replace them with fit birds and dissanfect everything than waste a lot of money and time trying to cure them because i lost 5 months egg production and i can now say it wasn't worth it .

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:55 »
Keep a close eye on them it could be Mycoplasma. If it carries on for longer than a couple of days take them to the vet.  Stress of the move and new surroundings can bring out problems.
If the chicken starts mopping, tail down, stood around allot, closing eyes (as if sleeping stood up), clomb pail then take her to the vets.
If you can put a little Apple Cider Vinegar ACV in there water, not the stuff you get from the super market as this is refined, try your local pet shop or feed merchant.  It is used for horses as well so if you know of someone that has horses they may be able to tell you where to get some from.

Thanks for the advice Vember. ;)

bubs welcome why not pop in to welcome to the forums and introduce yourself
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=12.0
It depends on whether you look at chickens as pets or as stock, as to getting replacing a sick bird, rather than taking it to the vet.

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:14 »
thanks for everyones advice, i will give them a couple more days to see if it settles down, if not i will ring back the breeder, hes been great with me and has said any probs then he will help me out with them so thats reassuring.  nickyx

xx
getting my girls tomorw friday afternoon

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 21:50
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.