Introducing ducklings to older ducks

• 4 Replies

Debnducks

Introducing ducklings to older ducks
« on: May 31, 2009, 20:25 »
Hi Everyone, I'm new on here but would like advice on the best age to introduce my 5 week old ducklings to my others. At the moment they have their own pen but are in contact through the fencing. They are all Call ducks and I have 5 more just hatched yesterday and today, they are so gorgeous and cute, I will keep these inside for around 4 weeks again. I was wondering if I will need another pen and house for them when the time comes. Thanks Debbie

Vember

Re: Introducing ducklings to older ducks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:54 »
Hi Debnducks, Welcome to the Hen House :D

I started mixing mine in from 5 weeks onwards but keeping separate houses at night until they are at least  8 weeks old :)

What are your adult drakes doing when they can see the youngsters?
My silver drake has accepted 3 babies from another duck (they spend the day pottering about together ::) ) with out problems so really it all depends on the individual temperament of your drake/s

Sarah :D

Debnducks

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:29 »
Thanks for the reply,
I have 2 drakes, one not really interested and the other has had a couple of goes to peck through the wire but only at the one I'm convinced is also male. The other duckling is female as she quacks loudly.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48 »
The other duckling is female as she quacks loudly.

Ahhh yes the call ducks quack :lol: The baby boys do keep their pathetic sounding cheep going for some time :lol:

The 3 ducklings I've added to my call family are all boys and they've not had a problem as I said down to the individual drake, best thing is to pick a time when you are around and try mixing them but have a fishing net handy just incase :)

Don't think we've seen piccies yet ? Pop over to Chicken Chat and show them off, the ducks are slowly starting to take over in there, but we need more :D

Sarah :)

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 13:05 »

Don't think we've seen piccies yet ? Pop over to Chicken Chat and show them off, the ducks are slowly starting to take over in there, but we need more :D

Sarah :)

I heard that, Sarah - now that IS naughty!!!! ::)

xx
Introducing ducklings.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 04:35
by james419
xx
Feeding ducklings and ducks

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:12
by Sassy
xx
campbell ducks and ducklings hatched

Started by roodles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 08:29
by roodles
xx
Introducing ducks to hens

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2008, 14:51
by Sassy

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 36 queries.