What should we get?

• 32 Replies

Legbar

• UKChicken - all a UK back yard chicken keeper needs!
Re: What should we get?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 14:45 »
I'd probably say Araucanas are a good bet - they're small, not as "clumsy" as bigger breeds such as the Light Sussex, and they're pretty good layers too. Not that bad on the eye, either.

Our garden looks like the Somme, too, by the way - although the hens have the run of it really - access all areas, apart from the veggie patch.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 15:08 »
I'd probably say Araucanas are a good bet - they're small, not as "clumsy" as bigger breeds such as the Light Sussex, and they're pretty good layers too. Not that bad on the eye, either.

Our garden looks like the Somme, too, by the way - although the hens have the run of it really - access all areas, apart from the veggie patch.
Do not forget to mention they lay blue eggs also so do cream legbars, Legbar.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 17:28 »
like everyone says chickens will make a mess of the ground so give them a fenced enclosure 4ft high chicken wire will keep them at bay .
regarding chickens if its eggs your keeping them for {aren't we all} then cross breds or hybrids as their called will produce more eggs upto 330 per year compared to 240 or less for most pure breeds , amberlees and warrens are 2 great productive hybrid breeds.

True, but a hen has a finite number of eggs, so a quick-laying hen will burn out quicker, leaving a friendly, inquisitive, non egg-producing garden ornament. That is fine with me but some folks think otherwise. Chris Graham's Choosing and Keeping Chickens (or similar title) has a good run-through of key characteristics of 50 or so breeds, including egg-laying performance.

Good luck!

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 17:31 »
the hens have the run of it really - access all areas.
*pictures long-haired roadie chucks with "access all areas" passes*  :lol:

soya-bean

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 18:13 »
Arrggh!  Lordy!  What a lot of info to absorb.  I have been reading a book called Cicken Runs by Charlotte Popescu.  Judging by some of her advice and that on this forum we are leaning towards one of the hybrids as they don't go broody so much and seem a healthier bet.

Now the dilemma is a coop / hutch.  We quite like the look of a coop / run combi, especially where the coop is raised and the run extends underneath.  Seen a couple that we like - one is the eggloo4 from the Feel Good site and the other was a similar one in a local garden centre. Trouble is we'd like to go see a range of coops but don't know anywhere around Berkshire that does them.  Can anyone suggest somewhere?

Thanks for all the advice - looks like we may be going for it. (We also saw a kinda pen - like a kiddy's play pen but for animals.  This means I could take them down to the allotment and move them around whilst I was down there working. ;-)
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 18:36 »
Be aware that the absolute minimum a run should should be 1m squared per chicken.  I would person suggest at least 2m squared per chicken.  The bigger the run the less health and habitual issues such as feather pecking you will get.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 18:41 »
I would argue the exact opposite, pure breeds are hardier and healthier.

So you need a chicken thats not so destructive but still lays a reasonable egg?
Orps can be ruled out as they lay a pathetic egg for the size.
What about the Brahma?
They are feather footed so tend to scratch a lot less, heavy breed so non flighty, very very friendly birds and they lay a nice egg.
They really are a posh looking chook, well mannered even the cockerels. They are really gaining in popularity now as well.
Avaliable in the following colours: (google image search)
Gold Partridge
Blue Partridge
Silver Blue
Light
Blue Light
Buff Columbian
Blue Buff Columbian
Blue
Black

sunenuff

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 18:55 »
I have three hens, a grey speckledy, a light sussex cross and a blackrock.   They're about 6 months old and lay each day - lovely eggs varying in size depending on what time of day they lay.   Our fenced-in run (complete with overhead chicken wire) is about 10ftx10ft, contains the coop, bushes, a perch and a big log.   They are free 24hours to come and go in and out of the coop, but within the run limits.   They appear to be happy especially if I keep supplying them with grass cuttings etc.   I throw handsful of mixed corn and/or wild birdseed in daily for them to scratch for and they seem to love that.   I leave the coop door open constantly and provide plenty of straw inside and out.   I remove the poo solids from the coop and the run regularly and pop it straight into the compost bin beside the run.   Part of the run is covered to keep the rain off the coop and the dustbath.   This all seems to make for happy hens!  I find them enchanting and very entertaining to watch if one finds a worm or slug and the chase then starts by the other two to 'capture' that goody.

murrowcoopy

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 21:43 »
i am in sandhurst berkshire and keep a wide range of hens (hybrid & pure breeds)
you are more than welcome to come see the birds and see the way they are and act to maybe make the decsion abit easier.

matilda duck

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 21:55 »
WE have 9 chickens and my goodness can they destroy a good garden!!!  They are allowed out to free range on a weekend but they have more than enough room in their run. 
The 10 ducks however are allowed to free range all day every day!!!  They are lesss destructive(even though they have just eaten OH favourite plant) :ohmy:.  Thay are far more fun than chucks.

I love our breeds of chickens my favourite is still the light sussex's.  They are great with the kids and lay beautiful pale eggs.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 21:58 »
i am in sandhurst berkshire and keep a wide range of hens (hybrid & pure breeds)
you are more than welcome to come see the birds and see the way they are and act to maybe make the decsion abit easier.

Are you a breeder or dealer murrowcoopy ?

murrowcoopy

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 22:11 »
i breed and sell but not a dealer just sell the extra hens

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 23:25 »
What do you breed for if not to sell? Do you show?

murrowcoopy

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 23:44 »
because i enjoy the birds and have lots of land for them
saves me mowing

soya-bean

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 18:23 »

Thanks, Murrowcoopy.  The OH is away this week but once she returns I will mention your offer and get back in touch.

Does anyone have one of those Eggloo4 wooden coop / run combis?  Not the Omlet Eglu, btw.  I found the Eggloo 4 on the feelgood website.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 37 queries.