Lifespan of a hen

• 1 Replies

joyce c

Lifespan of a hen
« on: May 30, 2009, 17:25 »
I was given 2 wynendots in April, of which I have no idea of their ages. Since then both them turned broody for 2 weeks, now just 1 of them is broody again.  I'm locking it out of the coop, but that doesn't allow the other to lay, so I have to intermittently keep opening the coop door.  Should I perservere with these 2 girls, or get rid and maybe buy youngsters.  What is the best age to buy, I've heard of 'point of lay', but what age is that. My 2 girls are fairly viscious, so that was another reason for starting with youngsters, hopefully they'll allow to be handled easier

Ruby Red

Re: Lifespan of a hen
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 23:23 »

It sounds like you should have probably read up a bit before you had any livestock.Why didnt you ask how old they were? Could you ask the person anyway? Point of lay could be anything from 18 weeks to about 26 weeks , though one of mine didnt lay until she was 30 weeks. What do you mean by broody. Are you sure she isnt just shutting herself away to lay an egg.? I would leave them both to get on with it . Im sure there would be enough room in the coop for both of them to stay and lay.Perhaps they are vicious because you wont leave them be. A s long as they have water and layers pellets and oyster shell and grit, then I would leave them to settle on their own. Regardless of age, hens get broody in their first year anyway. Could you perhaps borrow a book on hens to help you. Good luck.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
Ex-Bat Lifespan

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 17:57
by karlooben
xx
Hybrid Lifespan

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 16:33
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 36 queries.