Preventing red mite and other nasties

• 68 Replies

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
Re: Preventing red mite and other nasties
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 23:09 »
Scary stuff reading all through these postings......I don't get my Hens till next weekend and I feel i'm taking on a Horror Hobby! Hmmmm. 
"The Curse of the Red Mites....Just when you thought it was safe to enter the coop!"
Hope I can sleep now!!

nzdunn

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 08:59 »
 :D :D :D :D :D totally agree with you Tim, i only got my girls last friday,  straight away i read all the scarey stuff but i think it goes with every animal, i bet your looking forward to getting your girls      nicky

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 09:10 »
Scrub and clean, wash down, change paper and straw in the nest boxes and hopefully you will be okay but dont ever stop or skip a week doing it especially if you have a wooden shed.......... 8)
Mad Mark

Foxy

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 11:32 »
Duramitex plus -works by killing the mite by coating them but also has some residual effect on the mite egg as well, basically killing them. It has been tested with poultry and there is no egg withdrawal needed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 22:25 »
Just to back up Foxy.  Creosote is no longer available to us mere mortals only to professionals and for good reason.

These forums cannot recommend any of our members use creosote (even if they could get a dodgy supply).

Hensington sounds like a professional chicken keeper or someone who has kept and bred birds for many years and can obviously source it and is not worried about its carcinogenisity.

mumsy

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 22:40 »
If commercial poultry businesses get an infestation, what would they use??  We really need someting to kill instantly, as they are all over the patio.  THe Duramitex still hasn't arrived!!! They are only 200ml bottles though!! We have a huge patio!!

Foxy

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 08:53 »
If commercial poultry businesses get an infestation, what would they use??  We really need someting to kill instantly, as they are all over the patio.  THe Duramitex still hasn't arrived!!! They are only 200ml bottles though!! We have a huge patio!!

I know they use Milbenex, good stuff but very potent.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 09:03 »
mumsy Duramitex was banned by the EU in 2007 the product was allowed to  be sold untill  December 2008. It is now illegal to sell Duramitex under EU law.

Please see
http://www.harkersltd.com/New%20&%20TipsJuly%202007.htm

I would suggest you use Milbenex.  But you have to be very careful and with the product as as Foxy says it is very potent.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

bubs

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24 »

to clear the patio use jeyes fluid thats very strong disenfectant and should kill the mites no problem , it will also be much cheaper .

mumsy

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 12:28 »
Thanks Ruff, we have already been there  :dry:. Duramitex Plus is legal & available!!

Just rang petmeds & it is out of stock !!! they should have stated that when  I ordered ??? Off to the country store, as they have it there.  Will see  if they can get
Milbenex.

mumsy

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 12:30 »
Thanks Bubs, was going to do that, but we have Open Gardens next week & I don't want the smell................typical!!!!!!  If nothing else works will be using jeyes after the event!!!

Foxy

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46 »
Thanks Bubs, was going to do that, but we have Open Gardens next week & I don't want the smell................typical!!!!!!  If nothing else works will be using jeyes after the event!!!

hold on Mumsy, it sounds like you have "red spider mite" on the patio, not poultry "red mite".
Red spider mite although minute are red, and if you look carefully look "spidery" whereas poultry red mite you only see at night and if you spot them during the day are a greyish colour.
We live in a stone building with flagstones out the back, and they are everywhere, but no redmite in the henhouses. :)

bubs

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 19:41 »
another cheaper cure for mites and nasties and very effective too for inside the shed is to whitewash the walls and ceiling with lime . although i have not yet taken this action one of my neighbours has done so and his chickens are looking great and he gets 12 eggs from 12 hens most days. a bag of lime cost him £7 from diy store and he put some in a bucket along with some water and mixed it to a paint consistency and simply brushed it on , when it dries it goes hard and it kills all mites this method has been  commonly used by pigeon fanciers for many years.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 21:21 »
Just wear gloves as lime will suck all the moisture out of your hands.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 22:15 »
I have had a nightmare with Red Mites...

I have had two despatch two birds in a month.... It is a problem that cannot be underestimated. I have managed to treat now with Barricade. This is safe for chickens, and you don't have to withdraw eggs from consumption and will sort out lice.

xx
Had an idea on preventing red mite

Started by Jemimapuddleduck on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 10:09
by joyfull
xx
Preventing pasting up?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 08:17
by Casey76
xx
Preventing a mud bath!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 09:48
by karlooben
xx
Preventing flies not just catching them

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:48
by Tartuffe

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.