Dispatchers

• 17 Replies

Rubellite

Dispatchers
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:30 »
 :( :( :(
I am trying to be tough and looking at dispatchers (as well as incies).
I know I wouldn't be able to do the deed with my bare hands, and have no need at present, but thinking ahead.
Have been looking at two on Ebay. A wall mounted affair and a pair that looks like scissors. The scissor type look like they need effort so am leaning towards the wall mounted one. Has anyone had experience of this?
I am very squeamish and am scared of not doing the job outright is the problem :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dispatchers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38 »
Have also looked at the wall mounted ones (come in different sizes so I would need two, one for the hens and one for the bantams). Still don't think I could do the deed, probably a trip down to see my butcher or even over to see Grannie Annie if and when the time comes. Know the OH could't do it he's an even bigger wuss than me regarding this sort of thing - he cant even watch me plucking and gutting pheasants or gutting fish  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42 »
my 15 year old son Sam has the wall mounted one and the hand held scissors type one, he swears by wall mounted one as with the other he needs 2 hands (that means someone else has to hold the bird) to use it he has to ask his younger sister and generally gets NOOOOOO, i can't.

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:58 »
Hmmmm. I don't think I can either :( :( :(
But the wall mounted one, like you said, would be easier and more sure I think.
I could probably do it for a poorly chook  :mellow: would find it hard for a healthy one methinks. But then, isn't there someone in Darlington who takes in unwanted cockerals???? :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:17 »
I think you would find it hard to get rid of cockerals no matter where you lived. Thats why I've not given my little ones names yet - not sure which are female or male, females I will keep but have to decide about the cockerels. :(, Don't want to name them if I have to do the deed  :(  :(

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:18 »
I dont like the manual despatchers full stop, I dont think they are reccomended as a form of killing poultry either. Saying that, I would only buy from a reputable company and not through Ebay as I would be worried about the quality and being up for the job. I htink Ascott do a good range if I remember right. :)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:49 »
The wall mounted ones on ebay at the moment are different to the ones that I saw when I was looking. The type I looked at was like a funnel that held the hen in place whilst you did the deed - hence why you needed two sizes. I suppose when you've done it once then it gets easier, doesn't it?  :(

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 14:29 »
I dont like the manual despatchers full stop, I dont think they are reccomended as a form of killing poultry either. Saying that, I would only buy from a reputable company and not through Ebay as I would be worried about the quality and being up for the job. I htink Ascott do a good range if I remember right. :)

It was Ascott that I was looking at as thought I could combine postage with the incy. (I did ask hatchitincubators but they couldn't do such a good price for the 20 Advance.)

Why don't you like the manual dispatchers Foxy? Any particular reason?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 22:21 by Rubellite »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 16:02 »
Im probably gonna go for a wall mounted one! Thats what Grannie has and she swears by it! not looking forward to it and will do my best to re home any boys but it is something everyone needs to think about if hatching and rearing I suppose!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 17:40 »
too true, I will probably keep a male maran (if they hatch ok) and get myself a male araucana but the rest unfortunatly will get the chop  :(

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 18:05 »
too true, I will probably keep a male maran (if they hatch ok) and get myself a male araucana but the rest unfortunatly will get the chop  :(
I have a very cute little welsummer boy here!  ;)  :lol:

Debbie x

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 18:13 »
Nice try debbie  :lol:, as much as I love the look of a welsummer cockerel I think I am just going to concentrate on blue copper marans and araucanas. xx

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 18:45 »
You are more than welcome to a little boy araucana! just might be a while till i can tell!!
Debbie

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 19:06 »
thanks  :D xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 00:09 »
The reason I prefer to use the wall mounted one is that once the neck is broken, then I know my bird is dead.  With Brian's electric stunner, I would be worried that I hadn't put the stunner bits in the correct position and maybe the chicken would still be alive.

But they don't tell you with the wall mounted one how far to tighten the little screw as you can make the hole larger or smaller.  Brian made it too small once and chopped the head off, but at least it is a quick death.

I hate doing it at all, but I have done now to about 6 poorly chooks.  The ones that can't walk properly and one that was still alive but had been pecked terribly around her rear end and I knew she couldn't make it.

We got ours from Ascott!!

xx
Humane Dispatchers?

Started by Helen Louise on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 14:33
by deneview
xx
Wall mounted dispatchers ?

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 21:55
by freckledbeck

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 38 queries.