compostable refuse sacks

• 6 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
compostable refuse sacks
« on: May 28, 2009, 19:29 »
I bought some compostable refuse sacks (hugely reduced in price) it says you can sling them straight on the compost heap.  Anyone ever used these?  Are they any good & can they really be composted?

Trillium

Re: compostable refuse sacks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 20:23 »
I have ones that I use in the kitchen compost bucket. They are made from a base of cornstarch and keep the slop in the bags until it hits the heat of the compost pile. Sure wish they'd make kitchen garbage bags like that as well to reduce the poly stuff that's in use now.

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 20:38 »
I'm interested in these. (Sick to death of cleaning out the kitchen caddy) :tongue2:
Where did you buy them from Sian?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 21:07 »
Ah I never actually read the label  ??? Yes they're made from cornflour.  I got them from Somerfield for 76p a pack but I'm not sure I'd pay the full price of £3  per pack.  They are a bit too big though, they'd be better if they were kitchen caddy size really.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 21:53 »
wife uses these in kitchen caddy, I carry bag up to compost heap and empty it out and then dump bag in dustbin so I can mix scraps etc in amongst the green stuff. Seems wrong to leave soggy scraps in bag until bag rots away. Perhaps I am being a  dinasaur again.
R

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04 »
I've used similar ones for the kitchen waste which is destined for the compost bin.  I found that they let liquid through very quickly, so had to take the compost caddy with me every time rather than just removing the bag.  They do compost down properly, though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 17:55 »
I agree with Yorkie - they do leak, proves they're breaking down though, doesn't it?

xx
potatoe sacks

Started by Jen on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 16:09
by Jen

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 27 queries.