chicken with blooming vent!help!

• 7 Replies

dukebankchicks

« on: April 05, 2007, 19:21 »
Hi,I am a new chicken keeper having rescued 5 free range egg producers from slaughter,I am assuming they are 12 months old as the previous owners have to have new chickens every 12 months due to legislation (apparently).Yesterday I noticed one of them with blood and browny liquid on its feathers around the vent area,the others were inevitably pecking at it ,so I removed it and tried to clean it up.It is bright ,eating and drinking fine,there was an egg yesterday maybe it wasnt from this one though.Checked to see if it was egg bound but it doesnt seem to be.Could this be cannibalism by the other birds,I havent noticed any fighting amongst them.Got them 2 weeks ago ,no problems till now,Help! vicky.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 19:38 »
Muntjac is the person to answer this question  vicky :!:   But until he does I'll have a go.

It could be the start of pecking, I assume they have not been beak trimmed as they were free range birds.  It should settle down when they have got used to their new home and sorted out their pecking order.

If her vent is damaged you should separate her from the other hens until it heals, but make sure they can still see each other.  Clean her up and spray the damaged area with purple spray or wound spray (available from horsey shops).  

Good luck, let us know how she does.  And a Big WELCOME to the site.  Pop up and post in the Welcome forum - if you chooks are not stressing you too much  :D

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 19:53 »
Hello DBC and welcome.  Can't help on this problem, sorry - just wanted to say hello

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 20:02 »
Hi DBC and welcome!  I think Aunty has is pretty tied up there.  Our chooks do it as well, but not so they actually bleed, but aunties advice sounds good, unless Munty the chook expert says something else.  Your chooks will now be 74 weeks old, as the commercial chook growers get rid at 72 weeks.

There is nothing wrong with them, and especially as they are free range, hopefullly you will have them for some time to come!  free range don't get quite as stressed as battery hens.  WE have 45 battery hens and due to pick up some more tomorrow.  Got to go, but will be back on later!!

dukebankchicks

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 20:02 »
thanx for your advice aunt sally,can't understand this at all,chicken seems fine just cleaned her feathers again and the area arond the vent seems less raw and no blood now but it seems like mucous coming from inside, my vet says they have only limited knowledge of chickens so probably not worth going.I'll wait & see what happens though as she seems ok otherwise.cheers,Vicky.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 20:09 »
Hi DBC welcome to the site.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 20:13 »
Just keep an eye on her for a while.  If it happens again take a closer look  :shock: to see where the blood is coming from.  If it was her that laid the egg she could have a little tear in her botty which will probably heal without any special treatment treatment.

Get yourself some purple spray though.  It is not only antisceptic but the hens are not attracted to the purple colour l ikethey are to a red wound.

dukebankchicks

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 19:36 »
thank you all.
bob n vicky.

xx
Chicken bleeding from vent

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 16:47
by joyfull
xx
Chicken with messy vent

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 12:00
by Jeanette
xx
Chicken with sore vent - Happy Update

Started by Davenports on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 20:01
by Honeysuckle
xx
blooming Poo!!--- should read blood in Poo!!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:44
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.