Am I being lazy?

• 9 Replies

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Am I being lazy?
« on: May 28, 2009, 18:43 »
A friend has let me have some of his garden so I can grow veg, the waiting list for an allotment round here has been quoted at 10 years and I can't wait that long. I popped round yesterday to see what I was dealing with. There is no turf  just soil which is a good start. After having a quick look at the soil, it seems to have loads of old roots in it, so obviously something was growing there in the past, they are quite long and some of them seem to be quite deep.

Now to my question of 'Am I being lazy?' Should I hire a rotivator to give the ground a good going over and get rid of all the rubish that is in there or should I just use a spade? The area I've got is approx 28ft x 14ft which is 40ish sq yards. Bear in mind I want to get some things in the ground this year, I've got some things on the go and will probably by some veg plants too.

ben

Re: Am I being lazy?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 18:52 »
Using a rotavator isn't lazy - growing veg is about growing veg and enjoying it - doesn't matter how you go about it..

The only thing with a rotavator is that it tends to chop up roots a bit, so you probably would not get as many out as you would by hand. But it beats digging in my book !
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 19:03 by ben »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 18:52 »
If you don't know what the roots are then using a rotavator could be a bad idea.  Perennial weeds chopped up will grow into loads and loads of weeds.  It's only a small plot and shouldn't take long to dig.

If your friend can tell you what the roots are from and it's not perennial weeds then a rotavator would save some time and effort.

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 19:55 »
Use a garden fork to turn the plot over and remove as much of the roots as possible. When you`ve cleared an area, plant it up. Then dig a bit more, planting as you go.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 19:57 »
I think there's no substitute for digging 'em out. Two spade depths if possible. Hard work, but you will get better veggies.

As suggested, if you do a bit at a time you can plant up as you go. If some bits aren't clear till August there are always leeks and winter cabbage to buy at the garden centre and pop in.  :D
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 20:00 »
Jane, the worse thing you can do to someone just starting a plot is to suggest double digging. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 20:03 »
While I love rotovating myself, like the others I'd advise against it this time until you first know exactly what kind of roots you'd be chopping up and liberally multiplying. If a tree was there, then a rotovator would quickly get broken. Ask your friend.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 21:27 »
A spade and a fork it is then and I'll save myself £40 along the way. We are supposed to be having good weather this weekend, so I'll get stuck in. Will let you guys know how I get on and how my back is on Monday.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 21:30 »
Photos please :)

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 22:03 »
Good luck! Only do a bit at a time and stop BEFORE it hurts  :blink:

xx
lazy neighbours

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2006, 14:59
by muntjac
xx
Lazy-itis

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 03:47
by Trillium
xx
Lazy rotation

Started by RobRob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2013, 22:36
by solway cropper
xx
lazy sweetcorn

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 18:52
by potatopotato

Page created in 0.852 seconds with 37 queries.