lettuce coming along nicely

• 39 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: lettuce coming along nicely
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 17:57 »
Wow that is some crop  :D

Very envious  :tongue2:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 18:03 »
super displays and nice to see your blueberries are in there too!

sclarke624

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 18:54 »
Parsnip..................just did a stock count of toms got 9 Roma so lots of sauce.  I won't bore you with the list of the others.

Mitsy..............Don't worry yours will catch up I am on the south coast and where I grow them is probably a little micro climate.  High rise next to very hot conservatory and bedroom wall which is painted white.  Round the other side (its a bungalow with the garden going around) another white wall and 6 foot fence surround.

Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sclarke624

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 19:01 »
Yorkie........think I may have green fingers, hope they don't drop off.  Anyway thats what bloke at other halfs works says and he has been growing for years.  My flowers on the other side of the garden are pretty impressive too though I say it myself haha.....getting big headed now. 

Barney rubble........... only one blueberry 'Blue gold'has produced though the other 'bluecrop' is just leaves and not many of the leaves either, I'll have to post a pic of the non productive one which is a different variety and see if anyone knows where I went wrong.  Gonna get some more at the end of the season when hopefully they should be cheaper.

Mind you I don't show you my mistakes I have just realised I have cut off about10 buds on my californian poppies thinking they were dead heads. 

Dead heading can be a risky business.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 19:04 by sclarke624 »

Bombers

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 21:18 »
wow... lovely veg, How do you get outdoor cukes so early... ??? am very jealous. I haven't even planted mine outside yet.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

sclarke624

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:28 »
Bombers.....started them indoors early about Mid March I guess, I have a very warm conservatory.  Hardened off for some weeks still in there pots in the Wendy house errrr I mean summer house thing.  They were fine in there but started outgrowing their pots.  They didn't like it outside much I had 5 only two producing now. 

Put them out too soon and they don't like root disturbance.  I have some more on the go. As I said before Bombers south coast two turnings from the beach (if that makes any difference) and suntrap garden with pots/bed in a little micro climate.

I put my courgettes out very early  though and they are doing very well.  I  put them out end of April. I know you are not supposed to.

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 01:44 »
All working nicely thank you.  :)

Lovely looking crops too.  ;)

I must find time to show off my double row of pretty looking lettuce!  8)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sclarke624

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 02:07 »
I'd love to see some photos of your lettuce learner.  Back to work next week eh!

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12 »
I'd love to see some photos of your lettuce learner.  Back to work next week eh!

I would be happy to show my lettuce (photo taken already - just need to reduce the size).

Working right now and back to the mill on Monday  :( just as the weather is picking up too.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 07:26 »
Very impressive!!!! :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 11:52 »
My lettuce ready for picking!  :)
Lettuce 2009b.jpg
Lettuce 2009a.jpg

diggerjoe

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58 »
I've come over all 'salady' fantastic crops - mine are just wee things that can 't make their mind up to grow or just die on me  :nowink:

sclarke624

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 12:18 »
Lovely Learner, OH doesn't like red lettuce much, I don't mind it.  What would you say our soil is here, I'm thinking sandy.  Is that spring oinions next to them.

Gotta go get ready now going to Kingley Vale for an afternoon out, as I am back to school next week exam invigilateing (however thats spelt).

sclarke624

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48 »
I atart all mine off indoors this time of year, lettuce and spring onions and radish that is just to germinate and then maybe a week.  I have found even later in the year, summer, the lettuce and spring onion just don't make an appearance when planted direct.  Don't know why probably my heavy handed watering pushing the seeds down too much.

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 13:56 »
Lovely Learner, OH doesn't like red lettuce much, I don't mind it.  What would you say our soil is here, I'm thinking sandy.  Is that spring oinions next to them.

Gotta go get ready now going to Kingley Vale for an afternoon out, as I am back to school next week exam invigilateing (however thats spelt).

Red lettuce was / is an experiment - not sure how those at home will take to it yet.

Our soil is a real old mixture that changes within metres... around our way much of it is clay and even some Gault (blueish) clay :tongue2: then there's Bracklesham beds (sandy) and Greensands so it really depends which bands / types you are on. Think of all those gravel pits not far away!!

My plots are clay based. One has been worked by my father for 50 years and is lovely... so friable you can dig a hole with your fingers. Fantastic soil!!  :)

The new 1/2 plot (18" away) is horrid - mostly clay. This plot dries out quickly, compacts solidly and is real hard work to cultivate. Where walked on it is like concrete and "digs" up in small boulders. Digging potatoes out last year almost needed a JCB!

I have been adding compost for two years and parts of it are improving but it is slow hard work.  :(

Enjoy Kingly Vale - it's beautiful as I am sure you know  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 13:57 by Learner »

xx
It's coming along nicely!

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 16:24
by sunshineband
xx
Coming along nicely (pic heavy!)

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 19:47
by mickwood
xx
Going along nicely.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 23:24
by blackisgreen
xx
The compost is rotting nicely - BUT!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 17:16
by Guzzik

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 28 queries.