Early sweetpeas

• 11 Replies

Stree

Early sweetpeas
« on: May 27, 2009, 20:40 »

My October sown and February planted out sweet peas are about 40 inches tall, with thick stems and have been in flower about 3 weeks now.. Just wondered if anyone else had earlies?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Early sweetpeas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 20:55 »
oooo lucky you :) Mine have been planted out for about a month but they are really struggling this year, and don't appear to have grown at all since planting :(
I'm actually wondering if it's too late to start another lot :unsure:

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 20:57 »
i just planted mine out and they are doing brilliant :D

Stree

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 23:13 »
A bag of chicken muck suspended in a dustbin full of water... left for a month. then  a cupful of the resultant elixir added to a bucket/ watering can of water. Its rocket fuel to established plants but napalm to leaves and seedlings.
Stems on my sweet peas are flat and broad, almost half an inch wide. and the leaves about 5 inches long. Flower stems about a foot long. Best I ever had.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31 »
started mine in greenhouse, first flowers cut 10th June, my late mothers birthday. She loved sweet peas and always got the first bunch.
R

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 19:48 »
Im new to sweet pea growing but love them ,i bought some seed for next yr and it says to sow in oct is this correct?have a green house so sowing is not a problem also am drying out some seed from ones i bought this year to use is this the right thing to do? and does anyone have much sucess?

FCG

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 20:58 »
I planted mine in March and had them indoors until the weather started getting better. Massive growth spurt in June and we've been having flowers for the last 2 weeks. 6ft high now and they are a mass of flower heads.

Got to start cutting them now. I know growing indoors and then planting out isn't the best way but by jove it's worked for me so far!

Janschooks

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 21:09 »
I cleared an overgrown patch of neglected garden and this year found loads of lovely sweetpeas thriving. You couldn't see them before because of the neglected piece of garden. My question is, when is the best time to pick the pods for next years seeds? Do I wait until the pods turn brown or can I pick them when they're still green?

Jan

gillie

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:10 »
"I cleared an overgrown patch of neglected garden and this year found loads of lovely sweetpeas thriving"

Are they bright pink or chalky white with smallish scentless flowers?  My guess is that these are perennial sweet peas which are good at living rough and not the florists' sweet peas.  There are plenty flowering on verges etc. around here.

No matter, they are nice, rather rampant plants.  Wait until the pods turn brown before you collect them, but the original plants will be back if you leave them alone.

Cheers,

Gillie

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:36 »
oooo lucky you :) Mine have been planted out for about a month but they are really struggling this year, and don't appear to have grown at all since planting :(
I'm actually wondering if it's too late to start another lot :unsure:
Id start a new lot. iv just planted a tray full to see what happens just for fun iv got a bit of a patch so i though i might aswell grow them. go ahead and try youl never know untill you try it

Janschooks

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57 »
"I cleared an overgrown patch of neglected garden and this year found loads of lovely sweetpeas thriving"

Are they bright pink or chalky white with smallish scentless flowers?  My guess is that these are perennial sweet peas which are good at living rough and not the florists' sweet peas.  There are plenty flowering on verges etc. around here.

No matter, they are nice, rather rampant plants.  Wait until the pods turn brown before you collect them, but the original plants will be back if you leave them alone.

Cheers,

Gillie

The dark pink are large flowers and there's also some lilac/purple ones which are also large flowers. I will leave the original plants in but collect some of the pods for elsewhere in the garden next year.
Thanks
Jan

weathergirl

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17 »
Ours are about 5ft tall and the stems are about 11/12" with the flower.
In a severe lightning storm, grab ya ankles, and stick ya butt in the air.

xx
Anybody still got sweetpeas?

Started by GrannieAnnie on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 09:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sweetpeas

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 21:11
by Yorkie
xx
sweetpeas

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 21:06
by LeadFarmer
xx
Sweetpeas (again)

Started by sloegin on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 14:08
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 37 queries.