Leggy toms & spotty cuces!

• 2 Replies

freebo

« on: April 05, 2007, 15:39 »
Hello All,
I realise I've been a bit early in planting some tom seeds in the propogator and now have a fair few spindly tomato plants. Do they get that way through lack of light? I'm now trying to just get them to sprout in the propogator & get them in the greenhouse ASAP (bringing them in on cold nights), is this a fair plan? How tall should they be before needing support (some of mine flop over at about 3-4 inches!).

While I'm on I have a couple of cucumber plants in the greenhouse (also leggy) but the leaves are starting to get white patches on them, are they getting scorched? and if so should they be out of direct sunlight.

Lastly, neither seem to be growing very quickly (the cuces start with a massive spurt) shall I just start again with toms & cuces? I've got plenty of seeds left, how am I for time?

Sorry, but this is all new to me! Thanks a lot!

Mike

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 15:44 »
Don't really know the answers, relatively new to this myself, but my toms are now 6-8" tall and not needing support yet.  Got some pretty feeble brussel seedlings though!  Hoping they'll toughen up a bit soon.  I keep mine in an unheated conservatory so its not as cold as a greenhouse and because of it's location it doesn't get direct sunlight either.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 21:30 »
Freebo, toms need staking when they're about 12" 50cm tall and over, not when they're just a few inches. Sounds like you need more water and a bit of watered down fertilizer of your preference to plump them back up. Same with needing light and more heat. Unless your area is quite warm until planting out time, I'd keep the toms inside. They're heat lovers and just won't behave without it.
As for the cukes, it does sound like a bit of scorch. They actually need a bit of shade, moreso when seedlings, but it sounds early yet for them.

xx
Will my leggy toms be OK?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:14
by Kristen
xx
Leggy toms

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Leggy Toms ????

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 20:27
by mollyblob
xx
Thought my toms were leggy but

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 17:41
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 36 queries.