Red mite

• 6 Replies

desandchez

Red mite
« on: May 27, 2009, 13:40 »
recently had the dreaded red mite, we had the powder on hand but trying to dust 19 chickens was going to take some doing. Anyway we had a think and a look round and came up with this idear.We found a thin linen bag put some powder in then caught a chicken placed her in the bag with her head popping out, then gave them a gentle pat and rolled them over.the girls got a good dusting and it was so quick.Hope this helps someone in the future

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Re: Red mite
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 13:48 »
Excellent idea. I tend to dust down the shed every other week when I completely clean out the shed on the weekend. Keep it clean. So far so good. 8)
Mad Mark

Cass

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 19:03 »
Nice tips, thanks.  We are a week into chook keeping and after reading this forum are off to suppliers this weekend to have powder on hand for when we get them all out for the first time to give them a decent clean!!!!  ARGHHHH!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 20:24 »
To reduce the amount of red mite infestations you get, I personally do not bother with powder I concentrate on keeping the coop mite free.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 13:38 »
To reduce the amount of red mite infestations you get, I personally do not bother with powder I concentrate on keeping the coop mite free.

So how do you keep a 6x4 shed mite free? You cant see the things can you? Surely if you take the precaution of using a powder it is belt and braces along with good hygiene and keeping the nest boxes and shed clean....... :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 13:51 »
All perching bars are removable, that is where I tend to find red mite.  The nesting boxes are cleaned once a week and in the summer months washed one a month. My perching bars are painted in gloss paint. The floor of the shed is coverd in lino and is swept once every other day. The coop has had all the cracks sealed with painter chalk.  My shed is lined with thin aluminium sheet (the company I work for scrapped enough to line it). 
Mites are supposed to be able to move quiet a distance but I have found that they go to the nearest dark place. Which in my case is where the removable perching bars sit.  Oh and yes you can see them
Its 5 pence for scale

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 13:53 by Roughlee Handled »

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03 »
Great pictures ROughlee will keep at the scrubbing and powdering and Jeyes etc. Scarey stuff this blighters.
Thanks for the top tips..... 8)

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite anyone tried this?

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 13:49
by Topscaff

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.