Hens gorn orf.

• 2 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Hens gorn orf.
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:47 »
How easily are hens put off their laying? We moved ours to new accommodation a couple of weeks ago and the egg production has dropped off quite a bit from 7 ish to 5 ish average (three one day from 9 layers  :mad:). And we actually had a full clutch of 9 a couple of days before they moved.

They have gone from two coops (1 medium and one tiny) to one nice shed with perches for all. They have also gone from laying in only one nest box (through choice not compulsion) to having three rather roomy ones.

OH, being a bright soul, wonders if the nest boxes are too open? they are inside the shed but have one side open about 12"x18". Their old nest box they had to squeeze into although it was big enough inside. Should we put up shields to make the entrances more restricted and the nests therefore more secluded?

Sorry for long winded posting  ;)
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Rubellite

Re: Hens gorn orf.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 13:17 »
Hi Jane. Give it time. I've had a couple of weeks with next to nothing from my four who were all laying daily. They are all back on now. I did give them some bread soaked in milk with some cod liver oil (which they had all through the winter) for a couple of days. Don't know if this made any difference. Worth a go?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hens gorn orf.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 14:41 »
They can be put off very easily, it may just take them two or three weeks to get back into the swing of things. The first time we left ours in the care of our son for a couple of days they laid ok for him but as soon as we got back they went on strike for two weeks (I did wonder if it was worth ever having another two day break after that!!). I was so worried I posted a message on here regarding it for advice aswell!! Seems it's pretty normal  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 37 queries.