Perching problems!

• 19 Replies

Cass

Perching problems!
« on: May 26, 2009, 21:30 »
Well imagine my surprise when my new hennies tucked themselves up into bed tonight!! We helped them in last night and expected to do the same tonight but...wahay! Clever girlies managed to do it themselves!  However, they are in the nesting box. The Husband keeps on turfing them out but they just stand inbetween the perches?? Could this be because its too light in the coup (there is a little window) or are they just getting used to a new house?? Have read somewhere about putting up strips of fabric up inbetween the nesting box and the coup?? Please tell me that they will get used to it and we wont have to keep on fishing them out forever??!!

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Re: Perching problems!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 22:03 »
For the first 3 weeks we used a piece of hardboard between the perches and the nest box to keep them where they were supposed to be.

After that they got the hang of it. Not that they're dumb  :lol:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:56 »
Block up the nest boxes. I used screwed up old feed bags.
At dusk or when they have gone to bed, pick each one up and gently place on the perch.  After a while they will get the idea.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:28 »
so total beginner here please excuse me when i ask this so actually hens sit on their perch all night then, do they only go in their nesting boxes during the day to lay.   What is the importance of perching and what would happen to them if they didnt perch.   nicky
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:32 by nzdunn »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:18 »
It is a part of there nature to perch as they are a bird and a chicken should have a perch/roosting bar.
A chicken lays every 25hrs so it will want to lay at night.

Cass

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 18:29 »
Block up the nest box??? at what stage do I then 'un'block it??  Sorry if Im being slow here - half term - 15 hours straight with 2 young boys!!!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 19:30 »
Block up the nest box??? at what stage do I then 'un'block it??  Sorry if Im being slow here - half term - 15 hours straight with 2 young boys!!!

Are they laying yet? 

Jade23

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 19:46 »

Are they laying yet? 

ooh my chickies are 9 weeks old and the biggest one gets on the perch but the others haven't yet? they all sleep snuggled up together in the corner.  i haven't got a nest box yet though.  Last night was the first night (5 days in) that they put themselves to bed.  Will watch this post with interest then. good luck :)
Owner of 1 messy husband, 2 messy boys, 2 dirty dogs, 2  smelly cats and 4 little bantams!

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 20:13 »
Cor, I could have been a bit clearer, couldn't I? This used to be our routine (until they learned better  ::)):

(1) before they want to go to bed, put a piece of cardboard in front of the nest box.

(2) when they get up in the morning, remove the cardboard so they can get in to lay.

Repeat (1) and (2) every day!

Cass

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 20:28 »
I feel so stupid!! Put so much thought and consideration into the chooks before they arrived but still feel like a complete heathen!  To Roughlee Handled - no theyre not laying yet, 2 out of the 3 have red'er' waffles (so soon I gather?). To Janeheritage - may try the cardboard trick, thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 20:32 »
My two first chooks refused to perch (got last August) and slept in their nest boxes (got up early and removed poo every morning before they laid) but now one of them has gone broody and the other has left this coop and took herself off to the shed with the others she perches no problem. Just copying the others I guess, although she does perch lower down than the rest even though she is the top hen.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 21:17 »
Cass when they squat for you they are about to lay.  They put there wings slightly out and hop very quick and low from one leg to another.

Why they are anticipating you mounting them as they believe you are the cock.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 21:30 »
"Cass when they squat for you they are about to lay.  They put there wings slightly out and hop very quick and low from one leg to another.

Why they are anticipating you mounting them as they believe you are the cock."

Maybe your normal submissive birdies do this, but one of ours is a right women's libber. She has never squatted for me once and she has been laying a month.

She won't squat for my husband either. The Germaine Greer of chucks.

Cass, when they do it, you'll know at once. It's very distinctive  :)

nzdunn

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 21:38 »
I have my two new girls coming on friday so they will be 17 wks, again first time chuck keeper so shall i cover up there nest boxes at night and uncover first thing in the morning for them to get them into the routine straight away.   nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 21:43 »
Your new marans may be used to perching already, see how they get on first as you may not need to do anything  :)

xx
Perching help please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:49
by SMD66
xx
perching

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 15:33
by knittywittywoo
xx
Not perching?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:49
by Tiggersmate
xx
Perching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:18
by Casey76

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 37 queries.