Spuds growing lovely - in the onion bed!

• 19 Replies

Moggie

Spuds growing lovely - in the onion bed!
« on: May 26, 2009, 13:53 »
Yikes - Help please. I am the victim of my own laziness (or bad eye-sight) - Obviously not cleared the spuds well enough last year and now got three lovely spuds coming up right in the middle of my onions. Not been up the lottie for 3 weeks due to other stuff happening, so imagine the horror approx 12 inches tall already (in old money)!
Any advice please - Should I just let them do their thing? Don't want to disturb the onions too much. NB - Have plenty of spuds in the spud-bed, so that's not an issue.
Thanks

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Spuds growing lovely - in the onion bed!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 14:18 »
IMHO leave them alone unless they are going to shade the onions too much  :) and enjoy the extras  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 15:12 »
Take it out before it shades the onions. Just keep hoeing it off if digging up will disturb the onions. The likelyhood is that it has come from a tiny potato and will not produce much.

It could also be a source of blight or virus and infect your potato crop.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 15:53 »
On the contrary, I find that leftover spuds from previous years give me the best harvest so I always leave them as does my mother. It's mostly a matter of just how large they'll grow on you and whether or not they shade the onions too much. Make that decision later. For now it's not a problem.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 15:55 »
I'm with Trillium on this one -- my Dad always gets a few 'volunteers' from his compost bin and they are good  :D

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 16:24 »
The boys pulled up one from my compost heap where it couldn't have done any harm, but I have a load in my onions too!  :wub:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 17:05 »
My personal view is that you should remove it. If you don't then any Potato disease this year will be in both the Potato bed and the Onion bed, potentially rendering both of them useless for spuds for several years, rather than just the Potato bed (and hopefully your crop rotation won't have Potatoes there again for three or four years anyway, hence solving the problem).

Now, if you don't get any Potato disease this year  8), then leaving the Volunteers will give you some extra spuds (provided they don't swamp the other crops of course!)

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 18:09 »
Well paint me pink and call me Percival!  Exactly what I am seeing in my onion bed.  Last year grew medium-early spuds on that bed and all went splendidly until in the space of a weekend all the foliage disappeared.   Dug up as required and got plenty of (very tasty) medium/small tubers.  Clearly missed some, or the marble sized ones as in among the onions are three or four potato plants, which being a lazy soul I have decided to leave on the basis that the stunting of a handful of my onions should be more than offset by the bonus spuds (particularly since demoralisation on last year's experience means they are the only spuds growing this year in my garden - not due lottie allocation until I am 130 years old.)

But, to get to the point - is this something that onion beds are particularly vulverable to, and if so...... anyone suggest why this should be?
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 18:12 »
I don't think onion beds are particularly vulnerable, I have a spud coming up in the peas - it's just that spuds were grown there the previous year (also have a couple coming up in the bed where they were grown 2 years ago  :happy: )

Out with the hoe ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 18:15 »
On this subject then;  I just use my regular fork when digging up the spuds and too have missed some around the plot and these volunteers are popping up in a few unlikely places. 

Personally I hoe/pull them up as I don't want them there this year, but as a preventative measure does anyone think it would be worthwhile buying a 'potato fork' with tines that are closer together to prevent the spuds from falling back into the soil?

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 18:20 »
Part of the joy of gardening is find little surprises like the occasional spud in the onion patch. Can't understand why folk are so gung ho to root them out. If anything, the spuds are safer in the onion bed than in a 'proper' row of spuds. Only actual onion disease is onion rot, which exists in the UK, but isn't something that passes to spuds nor visaversa (blight).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 18:31 »
LIke the surprise radishes we have where the five year olds got the seeds stuck on their sweaty little palms and the 'dusted' them off as they walked through the plot to the gate ----- sure was a surprise, but a good one  :D :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 18:37 »
I root mine out as they're in the way and will compete for nutrients etc - if I'd had blight last year I'd also be concerned, but the spuds are definitely edible if you let them grow  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 18:42 »
Oh yes, they sure are edible Yumyum is all I can say  :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 20:24 »
Remind me of the old adage: "A weed is a plant in the wrong place" :)

xx
B & Q Spuds, shallots and onion.

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 18:43
by bazh
xx
Onion sets /Spuds Poundland

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
too late for main crop spuds and onion sets?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 12:56
by karooba007
xx
Lovely Lovely Rain

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 21:16
by CHRIS THE VEG

Page created in 0.902 seconds with 36 queries.