Is it all doom and gloom

• 15 Replies

nzdunn

Is it all doom and gloom
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:33 »
I have been reading through this forum nearly all weekend and it does really seem to be turning into doom and gloom, sick chickens, poorly chickens and especially the rat sections im really starting to get nervous now, please some one start saying posititve things to me  :wub: :wub: :wub:  Im probably my own worst enemy in that i read everything but im really nervous and worried about these rats everyone seems to be going on about, i live in the middle of a very busy and very big estate, i have a really big back garden and have houses joined on to all sides of the garden if you know wot i mean,  i would seriously die if i brought rats here, but saying that we are surrounded by cats, the hen house is positioned on my back patio paving slabs.   OOOOH im getting anxious about this, will it be ok, ive been so excited about my girls arriving on friday now i seem to be down about it.    nicky

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Is it all doom and gloom
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:38 »
Keep out of the Hen House for a while.  Go and read up in Chicken Chat :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40 »
There is good news on here as well - lots of baby chicks and ducklings being born plus ex batts being rescued, people who have met famous people including "not a lot of people know that" michael caine etc.
As for rats just take as many precautions as you can, remove food etc. Cats are good for that  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:44 »

well, it's a lot more difficult than I'd originally thought it was going to be, never thought I would get attached to chickens but they do become part of the family, and although I have a poorly chicken I also have three others that are full of life and great fun  :)

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:46 »

couldn't agree more Aunt Sally  :)  :)

Yes sue you do get very very attached to them  :)

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49 »

I have read chicken chat i did that first     hahahahahahah :blink: :blink: :blink:, think im just being silly and am being paranoid its not as if im getting a whole load its only two little girls.    nicky

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:50 »
paranoid me ? never! -  who said that!!!! :D

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 11:53 »
you will fall in love with them and soon become addicted like everyone else on here. There are downsides but there are far more positives, fresh eggs everyday, chatty little chickens that are always pleased to see you no matter what! My little nugget did the gardening with me at the weekend so much more fun than doing it on your own! There are also, always lots of people on here ready with advice no matter what the problem, be excited :D :D :D

Wyandottie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 11:53 »
Nicky - please don't feel despondent.  Once you get your girls you will be so excited - they are comical, fascinating and very rewarding.  Like you I read through so many items on this forum in preparation for getting mine, and convinced myself that my chooks would have worms, lice, red spider etc. etc.   I worried that I would not be able to cope, but after nearly three months as a chicken owner I am much more chilled out.  All I can say is give your girls a good and varied diet, be thorough in cleaning out the coop and run, take sensible precautions and things should be fine.  As for the rat problem, console yourself with this thought - rats are everywhere, cities, towns and rural locations.  True, chickens might attract rodents, but the rodents  were already there in the first place - you just might not have noticed.  I have eight feeders/feeding stations for wild birds in my garden (in a rural location), and at certain times of year the spilled bird food attracts rats.  I haven't seen them recently - a neighbour who has chickens recently had the 'rat man' around.  However, I expect there are still more lurking somewhere.  I was revolted when I first saw them, but am learning to live with all the bugs and beasties which are after all a part of nature.  Happy chicken keeping!

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06 »
All told I have around 50 at the mo, and very rarely have any health problems, I am vigilant with cleaning and very,very rarely buy in birds if I do they come breeders I know personally.
A lot of health problems recently I have noticed are from new birds, there is a lot of movement this time of year with a lot of poultry being transferred around breeders  to sell on which can increase risk of illness.
It does feel like at lot when you buy your first chickens, but you will be surprised how much you know in just a few weeks of chicken keeping! :D

Big Jen

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26 »
I agree totally with Foxy. Start with good healthy birds from a reputable breeder and you are unlikely to have problems. Be thorough in keeping their pen clean and worm and de louse on a regular basis.
A lot of the regulars on this forum have ex batts, which while it is a wonderful thing to do,  often brings a lot of problems from stressed birds.
The pleasures of chicken keeping far outweigh the downside.

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

nzdunn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32 »
Thankyou very much for your supportive messages          nicky

Debz

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 13:22 »
They really do provide hours of entertainment with the bonus result of fresh eggs.  I love my girls dearly (only have 3) and despite one or two difficult moments with them, I wouldn't change them for the world.  I haven't seen any rats yet and have had my girls since August but with 5 cats in the neighbourhood, I think they may be wary of coming by. 

nzdunn

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 13:25 »
I have to say honestly i think im the only one on my street that hasnt go a cat, i curse them for coming into my garden and pooing but now it may not be a bad thing having them around, i now LOVE CATS  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D nickyx

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11 »
Don't be put off. It is the nature of the forum that people post problems to it. There are thousands of others out there that don't have problems. It is a great place to learn from and often means because of what you have read on here you do not need to post to it.  :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 37 queries.