help?

• 9 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
help?
« on: May 25, 2009, 18:49 »
I have been trying to get on with digging my new plot but the grass is so overgrown and goes over the tops of my wellies, unfortunatly i dont know anyone with a strimmer..... whats the best way to go about chopping it down.  I have 3 beds dug  already with various bits growing peas, mangetout, cabbage, lettuce and radish...... which i managed to do before the grass went crazy.....  any ideas please?

pumpkinpatch

Re: help?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 18:53 »
you could hire a strimmer of a Rotavator or you can buy some sheers from Tesco that's how i did it im a bit of a cheapo  :lol:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 20:32 »
you could try covering it with something, stop it growing anymore till you get to it. But not carpet! worst thing I ever did was cover my plot with carpet when I first got it - still digging it out now!!!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 23:42 »
Skim it off with a spade. Use a file to make sure the spade is sharp. Swing the spade almost parallel with the ground and skim just the very surface of the soil taking the grass with it. 

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:23 »
I was going to hire a strimmer but its too expensive, at the min money is tight.  I think i may try wilkos later and get some shear things..... tried the spade thing and could nt do it, the grass is just too long....

poppies

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26 »
Hi
   you could try covering it with cardboard shops will sometimes let you have it for free as it saves them paying to have it taken away - you could weigh it down with big bottles of water, like 3 ltr squash bottles

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52 »
Does your allotment society not have a hire strimmer? I believen that most do and they are usually really cheap and come with a full tank of juice.

Failing that, a sharp spade as has been suggested.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03 »
Not all allotments have a society. In fact they may be in a minority. I don't think any of the sites around here do.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 21:16 »
well a local shop had a sale and i bought a battery powered strimmer in the sale! it is charging up ready for tomorrow!!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 21:47 »
well a local shop had a sale and i bought a battery powered strimmer in the sale! it is charging up ready for tomorrow!!

i hope it came with about 6 spare batteries.
or it's 5 mins cutting and 12 hrs charging.

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 37 queries.