Shady border plants...recommendations please...

• 14 Replies

Parsnip

Shady border plants...recommendations please...
« on: May 25, 2009, 18:26 »
I need quite a few or some that will grow quite big as i've got a large shady  fenced border..

Everything I  seem to look at that I like in the garden centre, likes full sun... ::) We like lots of colour and some  creepers to go up the fence would be good too...

Mumofstig, Trillium, sunshineband you're  good at this stuff... ;)

I'm very much a novice as you know... :blush:

Ta Snippy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Shady border plants...recommendations please...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 18:37 »
Another question before you get any answers :lol: Is it dry soil or damp...makes a lot of difference! And how wide is the border :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 18:54 »
Hi Snippy

Yes most stuff at the garden centre seems to like full sun but there is loads you can grow in shade for colour and effect.

Climbers could include clematis varieties like montana (could take over  :lol:) Fern leaved evergreens like C balearic which flowers in the winter with cream bells that have purple dots inside them, or large flowered hybrids like Nelly Moser (pink stripe down white petals)

Winter jasmine is vigorousm, and has yellow flowers from Nov to about March. You can keep it clipped back against the fence and it will still flower.

Climbing hydrangea is excellent (H. Petiolaris) with panicles of white flowers mid summer, and lots of roses do well on north facing aspects Gloire do Dijon is gorgeous peachy with a beautiful scent; New Dawn is pale pink --- try Graham Thomas for selection as there are masses to choose from.

Shrubs that would grow well by the wall include Garrya elliiptica with grey catkins in the  winter or Kerria japonica, which has balls of golden flowers early spring onwards.

If you have acid soil,, azaleas and rhododendrons are wonderful and some azaleas have a fabulous scent too. Hardy fuschias would cope if it is not too dry.

Perennials like Dicentra spectabilis (Ladies in the bath or Bleeding Hearts) would be OK, drumstick primulas, Vina (periwinkle) hostas (lots are scented), epimidium (bishop's hat), geraniums (cranesbill), hellebores, Pulmonaria (lungwort) Iris foetidissima (Gladwyn Iris -- it's the roots that smell!), Liriope muscari,(evergreen foligae like grass - there is also a black leaved variety) Rodgerisia  if you want something huge, Lysimachia nummularia (creeping jenny), Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum ?)

and then half hardy annuals like begonias and busy lizzies of all sorts and colours, coleus or mimulus...

OK let me know if there is any effect your are looking for in particular  :lol:

Oh and you could grow a cherry tree too as some thrive in a shady site... could go on but will stop now as I expect you are getting bored with a long list. Sorry it just came out like that  :ohmy:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 18:58 »
well will add a few more to that lovely long list when i find out more about the border and soil :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 19:02 »
Sorry -- I should have asked that question really -- got a bit carried away. lets' hope Snippy doesn't have dry dry dry shade with no shelter either  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: but that gentle sort that is just shelter from baking sun  :D

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 13:19 »
Sorry, i've only just got back online.. :blush: It's pretty dry but sheltered...oh and it's about 3 ft wide  :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 13:45 by Parsnip »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 15:49 »
Well if it is really shady all day, there is a limited range of plants that will cope and look good--- but there are some of these which are lovely though :D which don't need damp conditions.

Woodruff (Galia odoratum) is excellent as ground cover, and it is covered in little white flowers from now until late summer. Dries leaves smell like new mown hay.

Cyclamen would flourish and can make huge clumps if left undisturbed -- C coum flowers in early spring and C hederifolium flowers ealry autumn before the leaves grow.

Alchemilla mollis ( Lady's mantle) which has beautiful pleated leaves which are soft and downy, and frothy pale green flowers. It is drought tolerant and self seeds too.
Bugle really likes a bit of moisture but you might get away with it if you water it a bit and dig in some leafmould -- A reptans has lots of cultivars,some with purple leaves and some with multicoloured pink and green and cream leaves. Flowers are blue spikes.

Coleus would do well as a very colourful bedding plant -- lots to choose from in nurseries and gc's at the moment. Bedding begonias would cope, and possibly bizzie lizzies witha bit of water

If you are going to dig in some leaf mould, hellebores would do OK --H orientalis is the one I would go for. Flowers from Feb through to beginning of April, Lots of colours from white, pink, plum and spotted flowers.

Arum (Lord's & Ladies) has strange white or greenish spathes in spring and glorious spikes of orange berries in ealry autumn. A pictum also has beautifully marked leaves.

Iris foetidissima gives marvellous orange berries  in the autumn when the seed capsules split open. Flowers are unremarkable, but berries last ages.

Periwinkle grows without any sun at all in my garden, in quite dry soil under shubs. Two sizes Vinca major and V minor. Flowers are iether white or purple and leaves either green or variegated.

Sweet violets Viola odorata thrive in shade, as do snowdrops and the dutch cultivars of crocus. and bluebells of course.

Epimidium (Bishop's Mitre) is a clumping perennial with leaves that take on a reddish tinge later in the year. Flower colour vary and there are yellow ones (like tiny daffodils in shape) white or red.

Viburnum tinus is a shrub which can grow up to ten feet tall but is easy to keep much shorter. Lots of cultivars including one with green leaves with yellow margins 'variagatum' and flowers are in flat haeds of small flowers from late winter onwards. Buds are pink, flowers white.

Clematis need their roots shaded, and as long as they are mulched each year many woud grow on the fence without any trouble.

Ivy would clothe the fence completely and there are lots of different variegated or plain green cultivars -- great for wildlife

Hydrangeas love shade, but might need a bit of water in a hot summer. Climbing white flowered  H petiolaris would go on the fence,and is self clinging, and other more unusual ones like H paniculata and H quercifoliia have long panicles of flowers rather than the flat heads.

Cotoneasters are fairly undemanding and the evergreen kinds usually tolrate shade and stiil flower and fruit C conspicuus Cornubia can make asmall tree with red berries in the autumn and clusters of small whire flowers in summer.

Hope that is more helpful that my previous rather random effort ::)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 16:00 »
Hmmm, not much left to add  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 16:02 »
Here's my shady side of the garden,
fatsia japonica to the rear, climbing rose "iceberg" above that brightens the shade a bit, ferns and hostas to the fore , a young climbing hydrangea just above the hostas and my neighbours Montana above with the pink flowers, it's a pain really as they are very rampant I took ours out years ago to big for the average size garden IMHO

Ignore the junk in front of that  :blush:

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 16:05 »
All looks rather healthy Richie  :D  --music while you work too  :D :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 18:30 »
All looks rather healthy Richie  :D  --music while you work too  :D :D

Probably go BANG !! its been outside for a month  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 18:31 »
Wooops!! Make sure you are wearing your wellies when you use it then  :)

Parsnip

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 21:27 »
Thanks guys especially Sushineband..for all your ideas...I like your border too Richy.

I'm going o have a mooch about.

Thanks again

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 22:14 »
Happy mooching  :D

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 23:04 »
You want to try that ladies Mantle it grow everywhere.
                                                                                     celery :)

xx
Plants for a shady border

Started by Yana on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 03:53
by Madame Cholet
xx
Shady border under a tree!

Started by beestie-crawlies on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 16:36
by mrs bouquet
xx
New gardener - Shady border

Started by cudders on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 13:03
by spottymint
xx
suggest plants for dry/shady and wet/shady spots

Started by Juli on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 23:33
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 37 queries.