when to assist?

• 11 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
when to assist?
« on: May 25, 2009, 00:57 »
I know im probably the only one around but i getting abit worried about the other eggs in the incubator!  ??? 4 have hatched the 1st at 11.20am the 4th about 5.20pm! during the time the others were hatching 6 other eggs have pipped but have done nothing since?? is this normal? they have been getting bashed about abit by the chicks that have hatched! how long from pip should i leave it till i try and help? they probably been like this now for about 12 hours!! :(

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too many girls

Re: when to assist?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:39 »
hello, it's me, i don't really know what to advise, all i can say is i have helped chicks out and they were fine, the ones i left to their own devices either hatched on their own or died in shell, it's up to you, go with your gut feeling, if you think they are not managing on their own pick off some of the shell at the air sac end, if there's a hole to start on even better, if it starts to bleed leave well alone, if not pick away, let them rest and pick slowly and gently, super duck no 17 would never have got out on his own, i didn't just help him, i picked and picked till he was out, he was poorly for a while and i left him in the incy thinking it was the best place for him, (wrong) he developed spraddled legs, in spite of fearing the worse for some time he's now perfect, do what you think is right, you won't be wrong.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32 »
Thanks TMG! 1 more hatched about 2 am then another hatched before i got up which was about 10 mins ago! the 1 i am most worried about the little silkie!! it pipped about 10am yesterday!!!!! will keep a watch now. and take action later I need to write myself a list of what to do cause on just 3 hours sleep both nights i gonna forget!!  :wacko:

Turn eggs in other incubator
feed all big girls
feed other chicks
give 7 reluctant chookies their medicine

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:39 »
You mean you went to bed!!!!!
Will drop the medicine off for you this morning as I think you've got enough to think about today don't you? xx
It's only cause I'm being nosey and want to see these little ones  :) xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

poppies

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50 »
Hi agree with TMG would also add dont let them dry out if they are having trouble hatching - moisen a piece of cotton wool with tepid water and gently dab them with it this also makes it easier to peel them out - so to speak, good luck

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56 »
oh almost forgot to mention! don't let them dry out :D :D :D good luck, you didn't really go to bed did you? pprrrffff

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 06:58 »
really chickenlady, you are so going to have to manage on less than 3 hours sleep........................................

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:24 »
trust me i aint pretty when i not had my full 8 hrs hours sleep!!!! just think how mean i would be if i didnt have them 3 hours! think hubby and kids would leave home till it was all over  :lol:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:30 »
You mean you went to bed!!!!!
Will drop the medicine off for you this morning as I think you've got enough to think about today don't you? xx
It's only cause I'm being nosey and want to see these little ones  :) xx
You really dont need to do that Joyfull!  :happy: gonna take her  to vets in the morning i think anyway, get this stuff that Foxy recommended! she really needs something to help with her breathing so will ask vet for it and look like i know what im talking about!!!!!
Wish my mum thought i had enough on my plate????? she still coming up today so flamin house needs blitzing and dinner cooking  >:( She just better not say anything to upset me or i may end up biting her head off!!!! literally  :blink:  :lol:
Debbie x

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:30 »
trust me i aint pretty when i not had my full 8 hrs hours sleep!!!! just think how mean i would be if i didnt have them 3 hours! think hubby and kids would leave home till it was all over  :lol:

think my hubby's already done that!
omg............. omg ...............i'm not pretty............
devastated now, i'm always the last to know.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:32 »

think my hubby's already done that!
omg............. omg ...............i'm not pretty............
devastated now, i'm always the last to know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:47 »
Hi chickenLady, try phoning the vets and asking for it, because they have already seen Nugget, they might let you just pick up the meds, saves a stressful trip for her! ;) :)

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 29 queries.