Can/do hens eat nettles?

• 5 Replies

skeltonsuperstud

Can/do hens eat nettles?
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:38 »
Got a few patches of nettles on my lotty and wondered if hens can eat them or if they are bad for them? Or do they have that built-in sense to not eat them? The hens I am getting are ex-battery hens so won't know what it's all about but I'll be getting them layers mash and corn eventually getting them onto pellets and a bit of grit as well as sunflower seeds and peanuts.

Cheers for ANY ditery info on hens.

Stu

darcyhen

Re: Can/do hens eat nettles?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54 »
i wonder too... we've lots of nettles in our garden and on veg plot. Did notice yesterday that they seemed to 'jump' over the larger clumps making me think that they do sting their legs.

I have noticed that they keep down the weeds on our patch with the 'scratting'.

michelle

marygall

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 14:34 »
Mine don't eat nettles, not even the little baby shoots. They don't eat ground elder or sticky willies either, sadly - but they kept the weeds down in the vegetable plot all winter and are taking it very badly now that they're excluded!

skeltonsuperstud

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 15:13 »
cheers folks,

I'll dig the nettles out then seeing as though they won't eat them. I'll leave the docks and see if they like them.

Stu

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 15:30 »
Good  BUTTERFLIES LAY THEIR EGGS IN NETTLES.
aLSO, NETTLE TE AND NETTLE SOUP FOR YOURSELVES, IF YOU CAN SPARE A SPACE.
CATHANGIRL

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 19:01 »
Hi Stu

I'm new to this chicken lark myself having taken in 6 ex-bats 2 months ago. I also started mine on mash but they were eating pellets only a week later! The Smallholder range recently introduced a new formula specifically for ex-bats (interestingly it includes nettle as well as fenugreek & garlic in the herbs) & my girls love it - and they're feathering up very nicely on it too (but hunt around for a good price as some places charge way over the odds for it). I also feed them mixed corn and they enjoy mealworms as a treat and when I have to shut them into their enclosure they appreciate the green tops off bunched carrots dangling down through the wire of the run.

It sounds as if you're planning on having them free-ranging which is great - I was surprised at how quickly their natural instincts cut in and lost many hours in the first couple of weeks watching them scratching around for tasty morsels, the biggest prize seems to be a slug and whoever gets one has to be pretty fast on her feet as the rest are very quickly on her case...

By the way, I second the idea of nettles in soups and also as a spinach sustitute so don't be too hasty to get rid of them.

Enjoy your girls - Anne

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.