Sow by date

• 12 Replies

plot 45

Sow by date
« on: May 23, 2009, 17:23 »
Hi 

:unsure:
Is it still alright to use vag seeds that say sow by 2007 or 2008. I seem to have loads.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sow by date
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 17:26 »
Which plants?

Parsnips, definitely not.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ropster

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 17:35 »
if you are unsure put a couple in some wet tissue paper somewhere warm and see if they grow

gillie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 17:58 »
It depends how you have kept them.  If they have been kept cool and dry most seeds (except parsnips) are good for some years.  If they have been in a damp shed or greenhouse, forget it.

Gillie

plot 45

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 18:05 »
Lots of diff seeds. Also Parsnips. They have been kept in a darl cool place. Not shed or greenhouse. What happens to parsnip seeds? Thanks all

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 18:16 »
Parsnips are the worst for going off - seed will lose a good 90% of viability if you hold it over for a year.  Other seeds will store for anything from two-three years to ten or more, depending on what it is!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 18:17 »
Parsnip does not keep beyond a year - always use fresh seeds.

I'm sorry Plot45 but apart from that it is frankly impossible to give you a specific answer to a question which only refers to 'lots of different seeds'.

Different types of veg seeds will last for an average of a different number of years.  That average will then depend on how the seeds were stored, as previously stated.

If you want to test individual seed viability then do as ropster has suggested.  Bear in mind that different veg will take different lengths of time to germinate, not all will show in a few days, some may take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 18:19 »
Here is a chart showing some info on shelflife of seeds and av germination times:-

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

SG6

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 19:13 »
At the end of the day you can either try sowing them and see if anything comes from them, or throw them and buy new seed. :ohmy:

If you don't mind getting low germination, possible zero, then you have nothing to lose by giving them a try. :D :D :D

I had some fresh onion seed this year that had a germination rate of about 1 in a 100. :( :( :( :( :( :(

The purple brocolli that I found after 2 years possibly 3 had about 100% germination.

Oliver

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:54 »
Here is a chart showing some info on shelflife of seeds and av germination times:-

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php
There is a fantastic amount of stuff on this site in the 'front' pages, clear and concise. You just have to use the search facility - thanks for the reminder mumsy
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

plot 45

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 20:06 »
I still have a lot to learn.  :blush:

The seeds include Cabbage, lettuce, Carrots, purple sprouting broccoli, toms, Peas, Broad Beans & Sweet Corn. I was given them all to start me off.

Parsnip

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 20:51 »
I still have a lot to learn.  :blush:

The seeds include Cabbage, lettuce, Carrots, purple sprouting broccoli, toms, Peas, Broad Beans & Sweet Corn. I was given them all to start me off.

It's my first year growing stuff on an allotment Plot 45 don't worry ;)

I have found this forum to be my saving grace..you'll get lots of help if you stick around.. ;) I only joined in October last year and look at how many posts I've made... :blush: :lol:

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 20:58 »
The main problem with using old seed is time.

By that I mean the time taken between sowing them and deciding if it worked or not. If it was early in the season this wouldn't be a problem as you would have plenty of time to buy replacements and re-sow, but now we are running a bit late so you would be taking a risk that it will be too late to re-sow if the stuff is for a crop this summer.

For example you have Tomatoes in your list, if you sow them today, how long do you wait for them to come up, two weeks, three!!! by then it will be getting on for mid June.

By all means use them, but you do so at your own risk of wasting time if they don't work, and saving a pound or two if they do!

Bob

xx
Out of date seeds

Started by sonic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 19:36
by azubah
xx
Out Of Date Seeds?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 14:39
by bazh
xx
Use by date on seeds

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 18:44
by richyrich7
xx
Passed their sow by date

Started by hendreary on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 10:46
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.