Ground, pots or bags??

• 7 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Ground, pots or bags??
« on: May 23, 2009, 15:05 »
I've just dug the ground in my (almost) completed new greenhouse and laid a path down the middle. I plan to put in my toms but am not sure what's best? I was planning on putting them straight into the ground once it has been prepared but have just been told by someone that unless they are in pots they can rot? Doesn't seem right to me but I'd love to hear the thoughts of the wise wise peeps of this forum  :D

Cheers

Mick

SG6

Re: Ground, pots or bags??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 15:18 »
Does this mean that yours are not presently in pots, or that the person says they should be grown to full size in pots.  ??? ??? ???

Since they are plants I would have thought that the ground is the natural place for them. Mine go in the ground, grow well , flower fruit. None have rotted so far and I am not serious on it all. So the ground works for me, well for my toms.

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 16:24 »
we grow our toms in asda cut flower tubs with the bottoms sawn out , asda gives them away , at least they do in darkest hull east yorkshire

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 16:49 »
unless they are in pots they can rot?

That in itself is a load of rot!

I've often grown toms in the greenhouse soil and I'm doing so again this year. You have to be sure it's fresh - which is no problem in your case. I've dug in the contents of my compost bins & thrown in some chicken manure pellets & they seem quite happy.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 17:08 »
Thanks peeps!  :D

I thought it sounded daft, seeing as the ground is where plants SHOULD be! but it sowed a seed of doubt in this novices head!! They're only ickle plants at the min so I'll pop them in the ground in the morning

Cheers

Mick

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 17:13 »
How ickle are they Mick???   :)  If they are still very small, I'd leave them in the pots a while longer to get a bit taller  or re-pot into a larger pot for a bit.  But like DD I do grow my toms in the borders of my greenhouse, but they say to watch out if you do it every year as diseases and pests can build up, so rather than take out the soil each year, like DD I put in loads off chicken manure, spent grow bags old potting compost plus growmore and stuff, and after 3 years I've never had any trouble.

In my small greenhouses I have plastic and bark on the ground, so I grow in pots in those ones, but they do dry out much quicker than the tomatoes in the ground!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 17:38 »
They vary, don't think I've actually bought any! I have been given them by folks so they range from 3 inches up to about 10 inches? at what point would you suggest going from pot to ground?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 17:55 »
Mine go into final positions at 6" plus.

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Maincrop in ground or bags? It is now bags for Me

Started by lettice on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 22:51
by NattyD
xx
adding pots to grow bags

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 22:52
by cooperman
xx
Tomatoes - whats better grow bags or pots?

Started by Sweetpea C on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 22:20
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 37 queries.