Has anyone tried these?

• 6 Replies

canwickplot

• Biffasblog
Has anyone tried these?
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:30 »
I've got three types of squash this season: Hokkaido, Uchiki Kuri and Bon Bon. Has anyone ever tried these before? Know anything about their growing needs? I know what they taste like, that's why I'm growing my own!
俺、野菜畑大好き!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Has anyone tried these?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:24 »
Heavy feeders so lots of muck etc when planting, keep them watered, stop them at about 4-5 produce (I think) to encourage the plant to grow them bigger rather than keep growing lots of smaller ones.

I ignored mine last year and they were pretty happy  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:39 »
I have grow Uchiki Kuri many years and it is a firm favourite.
One of it's virtues is earliness so it will do better than most in a poor summer.
It is a good keeper if ripened properly, good size ( not too big ) and has good cooking qualities
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 18:38 »
These are my notes on growing them in Glasgow.
Suggested quick maturing varieties of Winter Squash

The following varieties have all had successfully trials in Glasgow during a cool Summer, using the methods described above.

Festival F1. This is a very quick maturing variety that carries several, sweet tasting, small, pretty squashes. Each one is the right size for a family meal, some 1 kg, and could also be readily stuffed and then micro-waved. It is very good for storing and will regularly store into the next Summer.

Red Kuri or Uchiki Kuri. There is some dispute in the seed catalogues as to whether these are different names for the same variety or two different cultivars of the same variety. Red Kuri may be a redder cultivar. In any event, they are quick maturing with a good flavour, weighing about 1.3 kg each. Should store till late Winter.

Crown Prince F1. This is very tasty, having large blue/grey fruits each about 4 kg, and has a large quantity of useable flesh, and stores well into Spring.

Bonbon F1.  This one came top in a recent independent taste test with a dry, nutty taste. Each fruit weighs about 2 kg and should store into the Winter.

Oliver

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:18 »
...Crown Prince F1. This is very tasty, having large blue/grey fruits each about 4 kg, and has a large quantity of useable flesh, and stores well into Spring....
Crown Prince (also called Silver Prince, or Australian Blue) is a fantastic pumpkin - works very well down here (South West)  too, but we usually only get 2 good size fruits from each plant.

Thanks for this info - will try these other varieties next year
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

canwickplot

• Biffasblog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07 »
And do they need hardening off well or can they make a fairly direct transition from greenhouse to outdoors? In fact, should I have just planted them straight in situ anyway?

Oliver

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 13:53 »
And do they need hardening off well or can they make a fairly direct transition from greenhouse to outdoors? In fact, should I have just planted them straight in situ anyway?
Anything that has been in sheltered environment needs hardening off - it will suffer a shock if you go from warma nd cosy to boiling in the daytime and freezing at night. So yes, harden them off before they go on the plot.
Oliver

I have just planted all mine out today after taking them in and out the gh for 2 weeks.

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 36 queries.